z7 performance

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edward hughes2

Reaction score
i just bought a 2011 z7 nitro with a 150 xs optimax,everything is good,except the peak top end handling,when your trimmed up max,and max throtle the boat gets uncontrolable,thrashes side to side you just cant make the boat run out to the full capability of the motor,this is my third tracker co.bass boat,and the only one that you cant push to the limit,if someone out there has had a similar z7 problem and found a cure,please let me know the fix for this problem,if there are other z7 owners that has this problem id sure like to know,dont know if this is just my boat,or a z7 problem.

It is called chine walk and it is common with boats that run 60 mph or better. It is not uncommon and you can fix it to an extent. the first thing would be to be sure your motor is set up right....motor could be low or need adjusting. Also be sure and try to distribute the weight in the boat best you can, this can also help. I have a Z7 with a 200 and it chines at abour 68 mph, I doubt you are going that fast so you should be able to find a way to get it under control.

pecos,

DCHANCE is correct all high speed bass boats have this failing at some point.

you may have the boat loaded uneven, be over triming at high speed , or over correcting.

but chine walk is the nature of the beast.

you can learn to drive thru it with enough seat time, the trick is to bring it to the point it starts to walk and feel it falling off to one side make a short quick correction of the wheel. after getting this feeling you will eventualy be able to drive thru the chine walk.

but your max speed on this rig is about 63mph when setup correctly, if your looking for more than that your most likely over triming.

but give yourself more seat time in a proformance bass boat before pushing the boat to it's max.

the point is to get back to weigh in with a bag o pigs and everyone in one piece.

the max throttle at max trim thing is overated.

not to worry your Z-7 is just fine and it will keep you safe as long as you drive within you abilities.

Had the same issue with with my 2009. I did install a 6" jackplate that seemed to help. This allowed me to adjust the height and did help in having such a bad "walk". It also helps to have a full tournament load (passanger,full livewell and fuel). Like Joe said, it's good to get seat time and making it back to weigh in.

My '10 Z7, w/ 150 never chine walked. However I'm only getting 58GPS / 5350RPM at WOT so that may be part of it.

grr,

your rpm's are low what prop are you useing? (should be 23 tempest plus)

your boat rigged properly should run 63mph/5600 rpm's

engine hight cam ake a differance also center of the prop shaft trimed verticaly

should be 3.5-4" from the bottom of the hull.

Joe...I'm running a 23P tempest and the JP is set at 3.25BP. I had it at 3.5" but 3.25 did a little better.

grr,

check your tack(if it will not go to zero when you turn off the motor it's bad)you can check a few things before bringing it to the shop.

make sure the fuel line is not kinked or obstructed.

know if you are operating at altitude, sometimes at higher climbs you cant get enough oxegen for it to get the higher rpm.

do you have any prop damage?

if none of this and i was not satisfied with the proformance i would bring this issue to my dealer asap before any warrenties ran out.

dont let them tell you 58 is the best you can get, refer them to their own product information guide that quotes this boat being a 63mph boat.

by all means get what you paid for.

I guess I better get it to a dealer soon since my 1 year is coming up the 1st week of May.

The dealer I bought it from is 2 hours away and the closest dealer is a hour. Wonder if any Nitro dealer will look at it.

Fuel line looks fine, prop looks new and no altitude here in Indiana;)

grr,

any tracker dealer will be able to do warranty work provided it is under warranty.

if it were me i would explain my issues to the service manager,

and make it clear that you purchessed a proformance boat from tracker and that you are not at all happy that you have yet to see the proformance part.

as long as you are not overloading the boat and you dont weigh 500lb it should do 60mph without breaking a sweat.

then stand back and give him a chance to be your advocate, you'de be surprised to see how many times tracker service managers go to bat for their loyal customers.

could just be somthing simple ?

i wish you good luck. :D

Joe...I emailed you but it got kicked back. Is the address in your profile still good?

I bought my Z7 at bass pro shop in orlando,part of the deal was,that they would upgrade the optimax,to an optimax xs,the service dept at orlando bps is so inept that they mounted the xs motor in the wrong bolt hole,then had the gall to tell me i just dont know how to drive a performance boat,i took the boat to hoppys marine in haines city"another tracker deaLER"they remounted the motor and now the boat runs about 90% better,but its still not as stable as my old 1988 1800 bass tracker,which was a 70 mph plus boat,so, if you are from the orlando area,dont expect much in the way of service from bps service dept.they can do things like leaky livewell plumbing,or trailor bearings,but they dont have much knowledge of real marine service.

i understand your fustration my friend

but give those guys a littel break their company just reorganized and most of the

boat managers at the bps tracker locations are gone (refused to work for what was offerd)

so.... the pepole managing the boat depts are former retail store accociates

with just enough boating knowlage to get them into trouble.

but the service managers and service techs are still the same good men oranized poorly.

every dealership of any weight has mounted a motor too high or too low at some point.

but if the boat is setup correctly it will still chine walk at speed.

the way you described the chine walk you were experincing in your origanal post

i cant blame them for telling you exactly what more than one person on this site have told you is that "you need more seat time"

but by all means find a service dept you trust and stick with them and show them loyalty

and they will treat you well.

best of luck joe

grr,my z7 came with a tempest plus,24p prop,it just may have been the one they were screwing on the z7s that day,and i read all the chatter about seat time,but ive driven 70 mph bass boats since 1988,ive never had this poor performance from a tracker boat before,and ive never had this unconcerned attitude from tracker marine before,and ive never seen the attitude,nor the ineptness of a tracker dealer,like the service dept at Orlando BPS.,,,,,,could the difference betwee the 23,and 24,pitch prop,be causing part of my handling problem?

Latest posts

Back