Z19 Sport

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red ranger

Reaction score
hey group, i am new to this forum. i am thinking seriously about a Z19 sport with a 175. I am concerned about the threads that talk about rough riding, low trim levels etc. I know that what I was reading dealt with z17 sport but is that the same issue that will be experienced with the z19? my concern is my wife has had several back surgeries and rough water does not sound good to her. I currently have an 18 ft champion with a 175 and it rides very well. any thoughts or suggestions?

I put a stingray stabilizer on my 150 outboard that solved my porpoising. I’ve since installed a 4 blade prop that is also an improvement.

I can now pull my kids on a tube or a kneeboard easily as slow as 12 mph without the bow sticking up in the air. It now pops straight up on plane and stays hooked up when making tight turns.
Although I rarely go there, my top speed didn’t really change.
I did install the hydrofoil first and it did help slightly with bow rise but it was the prop that cured it.
The hydrofoil did solve the porpoising before I made the prop change.
In my opinion the foil and the prop were money well spent.

I can now pull my kids on a tube or a kneeboard easily as slow as 12 mph without the bow sticking up in the air. It now pops straight up on plane and stays hooked up when making tight turns.
Although I rarely go there, my top speed didn’t really change.
I did install the hydrofoil first and it did help slightly with bow rise but it was the prop that cured it.
The hydrofoil did solve the porpoising before I made the prop change.
In my opinion the foil and the prop were money well spent.
What prop did you go with? What are the specs? Lastly, what size outboard do you have?

Interested in this also, do 4 blade props have that big an impact?

I have a 2022 Z19 on order with Nitro, wondering if this should be one of my first modifications.

I too have a 2022 Z19 Pro ordered. Sport models are different than the Zs and have different purposes. If you wanted to pull skiers buy a Sport, if you want to get to fishing quicker buy the Z. Four blade props have more drag, but have a better bite for pushing heavier loads. It will reduce top speed and lower MPG. If your need an extra prop and you have a grand burning a hole in your pocket buy one. For me, I'll just use the grand for gas, lures, rods and sandwiches. Hydrofoils are made to solve bad/motor transom setups that do not have jack plates adjusted properly and poor weight distribution. Half of the people who use one love them, the other half think they wasted money, your call with those things.

Ask and see if the dealer will let you try a 4 blade. Also different prop's (Tempest 2, Fury and etc) performance is different on boats. That all depends on the boat and the load.
Back in the day used to call Richard Jennings and go by and pick up a pickup bed load of props, with my boat. Richard would call other clients and meet at Table Rock where we would commence to prop out 3 or 4 boats.

What prop did you go with? What are the specs? Lastly, what size outboard do you have?
It’s a Fury 24p. I have all 4 vents plugged and a prop ring is needed around the base as it’s smaller.

Thanks, Fro. I've been toying with the idea of trying a 4-blade prop. I like the idea of being up on plane at a slower speed. I could also stand to go up on the pitch as I can run my Mercury 150 past redline with my current prop (24P QuickSilver, 3-blade). I seem to recall that you'll lose about 200RPM when going from a 3-blade to a 4-blade while staying at the same pitch. Don't hold me to that, though.

I have a 2019 Sport with a 200hp and 3 blade. With 4 seats filled and pulling someone I am always fighting the line between plowing and up on pad. 4 blade may solve that. I have also thought about jack plates, props and hydrofoils. Ended up just getting more fishing equipment instead.

I have a Nitro 185FS and the fish and ski boats do suffer on performance compared to the bass boats. I believe its because the console (weight) is farther forward in the boat, making it difficult to get enough lift to get the hull up on plane. It seems fish n ski boats just run with more hull in the water, which equals more drag / less speed. My boat has a 125 merc with a stainless 3 blade sport prop. I wish the original owner had sprung for a 150 merc. Owner before me had mounted yacht size trim tabs on the boat, but i think his issues were operator problems (his first boat), Once i removed those trim tabs, My boat seems to run fine, but she runs "wetter" than my previous bass boats. She doesnt get as much lift and doesn't ride as high on the pad. Thought about trying a stingray or maybe upgrade to a performance SS prop. I am also going to remove those heavy, large ski seats (driver and passenger seat) and set it up for using standard bass seats, like most of the modern F/S boats use

Future upgrades will also include finding a place to mount a Lowrance Hook depth finder (somewhere around the drivers console), building a front deck extension and new carpeting

Latest posts

Back