Z19 Sport floor storage lift fix

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Wilson

Reaction score
Hello,

What fix have you done to solve this door/lift issue?

To me it looks to be in a bind anyway I try to attach near the factory position.

Thanks for any advise.

Attachments

• 20220724_123907.jpg
    20220724_123907.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220724_123859.jpg
    20220724_123859.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220724_122830.jpg
    20220724_122830.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 0
I have a 2021 Z19 Sport also. I just got a replacement piston - strut for the ski locker hatch. Mine fell off from the bottom base and the piston no long would compress. Check to see if is very hard to compress the piston. That may be why it ripped the screws out. This was covered by warranty.

Ok. I'll check the piston. I'm out of warranty at this point, but have no problem getting a new part if needed.
Thanks for the reply.

Checked today. Stiff as Dirk Diggler. I'll order a new one and report back.
Ahh… I totally forgot to mention that problem with the fifty other ones in some of my previous posts. I went with a longer and bigger stainless screw in the same holes. I also used a 2 part epoxy and put a little on the back of the piano hinge and in the screw holes. Seems to have fixed the problem so far. I can’t even believe they went with those tiny screws to begin with. Absolutely just blows my mind.

Ahh… I totally forgot to mention that problem with the fifty other ones in some of my previous posts. I went with a longer and bigger stainless screw in the same holes. I also used a 2 part epoxy and put a little on the back of the piano hinge and in the screw holes. Seems to have fixed the problem so far. I can’t even believe they went with those tiny screws to begin with. Absolutely just blows my mind.
make sure the longer screws don't protrude into the locker area where it can snag a hand fishing around for something. When I use larger screws, I cut the taper off to get benefit of the larger diameter, but short enough to just penetrate... I finish the ends on the grinder to remove sharp edges.

There are two sets of screws. 1 set to attach the piano hinge to the fiberglass and another to attach the hinge to the storage lid. The longer and thicker screws were used to replace the lid side screws only. The set of screws attaching it to the fiberglass were fine. I think I threw away the tiny ones from the factory but they were only like maybe 3/8” long at best and had very little thread to grab the soft plastic lid. The screws run parallel into the end of the lid and are recessed so that is a non issue.

Yep my hatch lid hinge had to be re-drilled also.
There are two sets of screws. 1 set to attach the piano hinge to the fiberglass and another to attach the hinge to the storage lid. The longer and thicker screws were used to replace the lid side screws only. The set of screws attaching it to the fiberglass were fine. I think I threw away the tiny ones from the factory but they were only like maybe 3/8” long at best and had very little thread to grab the soft plastic lid. The screws run parallel into the end of the lid and are recessed so that is a non issue.
Did you have to change the rod locker piston? My rod locker hatch opened up so low I almost had to lay down on the floor to put my fishing rods in it. Re-positioned the piston for a higher opening.

Yep my hatch lid hinge had to be re-drilled also.

Did you have to change the rod locker piston? My rod locker hatch opened up so low I almost had to lay down on the floor to put my fishing rods in it. Re-positioned the piston for a higher opening.

No haven’t had any issues from that yet but I’ll be keeping a close eye on it. Btw since you have a set up similar to others on the forum do you have the same ride issues we’re having? Porpoising in the low to mid range and having to stay trimmed down? If so, we’re looking for a solution. Any chance you have a jack plate?

No haven’t had any issues from that yet but I’ll be keeping a close eye on it. Btw since you have a set up similar to others on the forum do you have the same ride issues we’re having? Porpoising in the low to mid range and having to stay trimmed down? If so, we’re looking for a solution. Any chance you have a jack plate?
Not nearly as bad as others are having. I’m running the Mercury 150 with the Fury 25P three blade prop. No jackplate. Normally run with a 1/2 tank of gas. So my boat is lighter in back. Also only have two batteries. It seams with the bigger motor, 3 batteries, and the gas tank all on the stern it’s a weight issue.

Yep that seems to be a common opinion. Weird that some are the complete opposite though. Some say that it’s too bow heavy and can’t get over the hump. 2021 200hp came with a 21p tempest. Did yours come with the 25p?

Yep that seems to be a common opinion. Weird that some are the complete opposite though. Some say that it’s too bow heavy and can’t get over the hump. 2021 200hp came with a 21p tempest. Did yours come with the 25p?
Came with the Fury 25P. More weight in the front should bring the bow down. That's why a lot of people buy the whale tails or stingray adapters to push the bow down. Always like the gas tanks mid floor for balancing some of the weight out and not all the way in the back.

Forgot to mention, all the vent plugs are out on my prop. Don’t know if that makes any difference.

They were left out on mine too. May actually try to use plugs next time I go out

I have a 2018 NitroZ19 Sport 200HP ProXS 2-stroke. Not home so can’t check what prop it is. Yes propoising is an issue with 4-5 people or when trimmed up even a little bit. I leave it basically trimmed full down, but can raise it a little at speed. No jack plate. I’ve got it figured out now so it’s not an issue, but a steep learning curve was had for sure. Will run 70+ all day with 2 people.

Fortunately we haven’t had all the issues mentioned here. I am on my 3rd trolling motor, the issues with the ski door, and porpoising. Other than that it’s been a fun boat.

Yeah thanks…let us know. Curious to know what prop they put on the 2018s

Back home. Here are pics of the transom set -up on my Z-19 Sport. Pic is trim down 98-99% which is how I run my boat with 2 people. Also, pic of the prop name and pitch.

Attachments

• C1320F77-39E7-4EA8-AF25-1C940324BDDD.jpeg
    C1320F77-39E7-4EA8-AF25-1C940324BDDD.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • FF1DDB1D-C635-47DD-B534-7A5B3227AE9A.jpeg
    FF1DDB1D-C635-47DD-B534-7A5B3227AE9A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 16D8CF1A-2D48-4E76-8246-C5B39BA4220E.jpeg
    16D8CF1A-2D48-4E76-8246-C5B39BA4220E.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 16D36FB4-3C63-44F1-B2BB-FEB313CE9260.jpeg
    16D36FB4-3C63-44F1-B2BB-FEB313CE9260.jpeg