Z-7 Purchase, brakes or not?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Randolph

Reaction score
A little advise please. I am currently pricing out a new 2012 Z-7 with intent of ordering in the next couple of months. Unfortunately my wants are exceeding my budget and I am struggling trying to decide what to cut. On the subject of surge brakes, I have never owned a boat with them before but I have never owned a fiberglass boat before, only lighter aluminum boats. The Z-7 is rated as 3000 lbs, the law in my state says "over 3000 lbs". My tow vehicle is a Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4wd V8 with limited slip axle that includes larger brakes, There is also a bed cover, stiffened rear suspension and added weight for rear traction in the truck (I am a hunter). My towing a boat in my area almost never envolves interstate driving, only state and county roads. So do I need brakes on this size boat? Or is the expense and maintenance of brakes a waste on this size boat?

In my opinion trailer brakes are a must on that rig. You will notice a massive difference in the way your truck stops with them vs without. Im not sure what year your Dakota is but my 2002 had the "oversized" brakes in it with the 1800# payload package and when the brakes failed on my 882 (which is lighter then a Z7) it was scary and downright unsafe. I know the manual for my Dakota also stated that any trailer over 1k needed brakes. The trailer brakes are a saftey item for both you and everyone that shares the roads with you, i would find somewhere else to cut money. The roads you drive on wre where you will need the brakes the most. You will appreicate them the first time sone idiot cuts you off and you have to panic stop and can do it safely.

I now own a 2008 Z7 and tyhe cert of origin lists the package at 3500# so i had to reg my trailer for 4k.

I dont know why Nitro didnt make brakes standard on this model, they really should.

I would get the brakes, and FYI I think the newer Z7's come with disc brakes.

I also recently bought a new Z7 and I have never had brakes on the last 6 boats I owned. Boy I never knew what I was missing. Bid change and will never own one without. A must have from now on.

Thank you, exactly the answers I was expecting but it is good to hear it confirmed by those with experience.

I have a 2011 Z6 with brakes and in my opinion they all should have them. Makes all the difference trying to stop quickly when it's slippery.

Get them! Don't ever cut safety items due to budget. Lots of reasons but just to add another...you'll wear the brakes out on your truck faster. Inertia is a b!tch if not controlled and I've seen 3/4 ton trucks pushed through intersections on wet roads. There are times when they can be a pain. For example, I got myself on a very icy road going to Mr. Hamilton's place and everytime I would just touch the brakes, the trailer would lock up and try to come around the truck. Also going downhill the weight of the trailer can sometimes push against the hitch and engage your brakes actually slowing you down. You have to counteract it buy keeping a little pressure on the accelerator. Surge brakes do require a little more maintenance but it is well worth it. NONE of the negatives outweigh the positives.

TOXIC

Can brakes be added to the trailer after the fact or is this a factory option only?

Latest posts

Back