Z-6 Low Bow???Jack Plate??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark gohmann

Reaction score
I have a new 2012 Nitro Z-6. I found a lot of good info on this site regarding the boat pulling because of the single rack an pinion (cheap) steering cable that comes on the boat.

It is at the dealership as we speak and have been told that Nitro is going to take care of the problem. I have another problem with this boat. In rough water, I am having waves come over the bow of the boat when fishing. The front of the boat seems to sit fairly low in the water compared to my last two alluminum boats. I weigh about 230 and my son weighs 110lbs. I thought this might be part of the reason so we switched places (he in the front and I in the back of the boat). It didn't seem to help. I also have a third battery in the back of the boat. Most of the other fiberglass boats we have seen seem to ride a lot higher in the front of the boat than mine. Would a jack plate help this situation? The motor weighs over 300lbs. and a 12" jack plate would give the weight of the motor more leverage to lift the front up. Also I was hoping that the JP would improve the performance. Anyone have a JP on the Z6??

Funny you say this, my Z6 has done the same thing several times, and mainly while your fishing and someone creates a wake that hits you head on, it simply comes up and over.

I don't know the answer either but to me it just looks like its caused by design and dynamics. Maybe your onto something by dropping the rear lower but maybe you'll just reverse the problem?

Not much you can do other than load your back compartments. Welcome to the fiberglass boat club. A lot of things different from the tin rigs. It is the design of the boats. They sit lower in the water. When you are up front, just use your TM to turn the boat so that the wakes/waves don't crest over the front. They all do it at some time or another.

Im curious what size of waves you're talkin about. Im hoping to buy (fingers crossed) a new boat next year. I have been going between the Z6 and Z7. Its usually just me out in the boat so I was kind of leaning Z6 but maybe I need to go with the Z7 if the 6 has some issues.

If I had it to do over again I would have gotten the Z-7. I would have bought it for the extra speed aned smoother ride. The Z-6 is a nice boat but I am will to bet the Z-7 rides better. It is more narrow in the front and probably cuts thru the water better.

I agree mark, i love my z6 but if i had it to do all over again i would have gone with the z7. i have had waves come over the bow from a big wake but no big deal , the big deal is the guy that caused that big wake....made me mad. I have a video of being on lake fork with big waves from high winds coming over the bow, the video caught the "small" waves and it was a scary day on the water. i will try to figure out how to share the video.

here is a couple video from my facebook that a buddy of mine took from my boat

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2973754621908

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2973679100020

Seems to me it's a trade-off. You WILL have bow diving issues in rough water or when dealing with other boaters large wakes when you're leaning on your pro-pole. (#75 TM helps alot). It's a Z6 and you have to make allowances and learn to adjust by angling your bow accordingly. If you encounter these situations alot - go with a Z7 (or Z9). For me it was more a matter of storage. The Z6 fits in my covered boat port perfectly. The Z7 - not so much. Would I rather have a Z7 or larger? Yup. But the Z6 is working out fine on my local waters and I'm happy with it.

Latest posts

Back