Your Favorite Rod/Reel/Line Survey!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staci Matheis

Reaction score
Last night, I sat there lookin' at ALL those rods and reels and line and tackle and..... Thinkin' "Damn! I got a lot of buxs sunk into all that stuff! And half of it I almost never use!"

So, I got to thinkin' some more.....

"If I could only have one of those set-ups..... Which would it be?"

I'd chose my 6' Light Action Bionic Blade / Shimano Sedona 1000FA with double-paddle handle from a Spirex / 6# Clear Stren.

How about all of you?

Of all your "stuff" - which is your favorite?

me!

Favorite or what would I get? If it were what I could get, I really liked the feel of the BPS Johnny Morris signature combos Mac had at the rally! I'd take one of those in a flash.

6' 6" Med/Hvy JLM Signature rod/reel baitcast combo,...and a 6' 6" Med/Hvy Pro qualifier Spinning rod with a JLM Signature 20 series spinning reel............and rod balancers for both setups!!

Shimano 6'6" med action....can't recall model, dang! But with my Quantum Iron (only Quantum I own that I like anymore). Have probably caught 1000 smallies on it, great for jerkbaits and light carolina rigs. Just feels like an old friend!

5'-6" St. Croix Premier (PS56L) with a Shimano Spirex 1000 spooled with 2, 4 or 6 lb. green Trilene.

Berkley 6' onyx med light spinning w/a Quantum Energy E2-2 spinning reel but cant help listing another,

Berkley 5'9" dual flex w light and medium action tips w/Quatum Energy EM4-1 spinning reel

My second choice is a G. Loomis IMX CR721 6-foot fast-action casting rod with a Daiwa Team-X reel spooled with 8 or 10 pound green Trilene mono.

Can't believe i forgot the line, i use clear/blue stren most of the time 8lb line, or Stren sensor 8lb.

My Choice for a favorite setup would have to be my last years christmas present from my mom and dad, It's a Falcon Expert 6'6" med heavy (extremly light rod) matched with a Quantum E600CX spooled with 30lb power pro. I use this setup for fishing trick worms and smaller 4' finesse worms with split shots or pegged bullet weights.

6'6" Medium action Falcon Lowrider w/Pfleuger Supreme.

14lb Bass Pro Shops Excel line. And a spinnerbait, Ill be in heaven!

Sorry Scott,...My rods and reels are like Lay's potatoe chips,...........can't have just ONE!!!

I have 4 identical rods in my basic arsenal - 5'6" BPS IM6 - with 4 identical ABU Black Max 3600 reels - BPS 12 lb Dark Green Excel line. The rods are inexpensive but I like their feel. The reels aren't made anymore so I treat them carefully. I buy replacement parts as needed. I have caught lots of fish on the Excel line and it has never broken. Economy doesn't always represent cheap.

Bear

GLoomis IMX 783 with TD-Z spooled with 12-14 Silver Thread AN40 (P-Line for night).

Russ

Anyone ever use Berkely Sensation? I am making the switch from Stren Sensor. It was the only Stren I used anyway, frays too much, and I retie about 300 times a day! But luv that sensitivity on subtle bites. Anyway, hope Sensation is the equivalent but a little tougher. Any reviews?

Sensation is awesome line when used away from cover. Love to use it for SB's and CB's. However, Berkeley just released a new line called IronSilk. S'pose to be the ULTIMATE in fishing line. Picked up several spools last week and will spool up as soon as I get my boat back.

St. Croix 7' MH Avid with a Shimano 201 Bantam Curado spooled with 20# Fireline and a 3ft.20# test Vanish Fluoro leader (heavy line because I fish Okeechobee a lot).

Curado on a 6'6" Shimano Jimmy Houston MW spooled with 12# P Line. I noticed some guys using Shimano Spirex. I have one of those too but don't like it due to having too much play in the handle. Anybody else have that issue?

tn -

I've got sevferal Spirexes and love them except for that one thing - but that's the price you pay for the trigger mechanism. On my lite and ultra-lites, I went to the Sedona as I mentioned in my original post. I put Spirex 1000 handles on the Sedonas - it balanced their cranking and has a shorter radius that makes it easier to crank quickly. Try it, you'll like it! I promise!

me!

U-u-uh-h, tn..... I made a mistake last night..... I went over to BPS Candy Store..... I took a really hard look at the Shimano Sahara 1000FA. Damn near bought one - but reminded myself that I had only come to spend $15 on that rod rack for the inside of my Cherokee. That Sahara is so-o-o-o smo-o-o-oth! That will be my next spinning reel! With a different handle, of course!

me!

Muskies

Calcutta 400 on a G Loomis 864 spooled with 80# Power pro

Walleyes

Stradic 2000 on a 6'6" St. Croix med lite premier spooled with 14# fireline

Well, mine is a 7 foot Spriral Graphic Rod with a Shimano Calcutta CT50 reel with 10 lb. fireline. This combo has worked for me for walleye, small and largemouth bass, pike, and salmon. For panfish, same rod but spinning with a Libra 10 bearing spinning reel. Spring time for crappie is a 12 foot BnM rod with a Shimano 500FA double paddle spinning reel with 6 lb. silver thread mono. Those are my favorites. Most of the other rods and reels are the same (got four 12 footers all rigged the same, 2 calcutta CT50 set ups, and 3 spinning rods rigged the same).

Back