Your Best Lure of 2008

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Time to do some shopping for gifts (and maybe a thing or two on my wish list).

What lure caught you the most fish this year? When and how did you fish it? Shallow, deep, clear, stained, spring, summer, fall?

For me, a BooYah white single blade buzz bait with a white double tail trailer is my favorite lure to fish topwater in morning and evenings. I catch the most on a Bandit 200 Rootbeer/Chartruese fished in less than 10 feet of water. Summer deep fishing I always go to a texas rigged Berkley 7" power worm blue fleck.

for me it was Berkley Gulp products all the way, on Anna in the spring I caught high numbers shottin with guilp minnows and wacky gulp 4" sinking minnows;)

I haven't fished as much as I would have liked, but my favorite new lure is the Strike King Rage Tail Shad. If a fish is in the area and hungry, they will come out of the water to take it. Caught several very nice fish with it this year.

Been using the pearl/grey on, fishing on top.

Also, #2 would be my Bandit 100, Pearl/Chart crankbait. If the fish are feeding on shad, they will blast this Crankbait.

Tex

For me it was a purple flake tube rigged weedless on a 3/0 or 4/0 wide gap hook and weighted with about a 1/4" piece of Woo's tube weight. I skipped it up under docks and pontoon boats.

Gene

Zoom finesse, no weight, shallow to med depth. First year I used them, and busted them up pretty good with this, but you have to "wade through" a lot of smaller fish. I don't thing they see many of these. Getcha some. Duckworth has been killing them in shallow water with a Bandit Footloose in Blue Chrome.

Spro Bronzeye Frog for size. Fish it all day, all year on HEAVY tackle, throwin' into the nastiest debris, thickest grass and ugliest fishy lookin' places that the dozen folk before you passed on. Lock the drag down on a hi-speed quality reel spooled with 50+ lb. braid. Also, either gain weight or carabine yourself to the gunnel or you will go swimmin'!! :lol: Absolutely one of my top three must have lures on ANY water.

http://www.nitroowners.com/~library/1930/11.7lb%20Monster%203-30-07.JPG

Bandit 200 for numbers. You can blind chunk this little bait and just by changing the color/pattern for forage choice, fish through most active feeding depths for bass. You can go deeper with light line (ie: clear h20) and run shallower with heavy line (ie: stump bumping). Great compact, durable, forage matching, in-expensive crank. Again, an all year, all around bait.

http://www.nitroowners.com/~library/1930/IMGP0934.JPG

Senko, dropshot and Little John Crankbait. I can't say any one was better than the other but I caught more on plastics. Senko would have a tough run BUT....CIII and I tore em' up on St. Clair with the "Wong Rig". That put the Senko #1 again this year.

TOXIC

custom color tube :)

and no, you cant know the color :)

Was it the color I caught my big smallie on?

For me its the same two as always and they were about equal in production. These are my two go-to baits no matter where i an or what kind of water i fish.

#1 Yamamoto Hula Grub (Jig head varied depending on depth and cover)

#1a Stanley Wedge spinnerbait(varied blade combo's depeding on lake)

Berkley 7" purple worm and a CJBASSCUSTOMLURES.com silver/black-skirted spinnerbait.

I love the Zara Spook. When I walk it on top of the water, I watch in awe as the bass just simply tear it up. It's amazing at the way the bass will jump on this constantly. It's fun just watching them hit and miss and then try again.

Barry from La.:)

I have great luck with the Zara Puppy...still made of wood and no rattles!

Works when others don't;)

Wouldn't you like to know ;-)

Bandit 200 Crankbaits - best lure 2008, 2007, and 2006. Likely to be best bait of 2009.

a modified chatterbiat type lure, caught them last winter in 40 degree water and am still catching them on it, fish it on top, shallow, rip it off the bottom, anf they always eat it. caught over 1000 fish on it this year. modified spro frog would be second.

mike c

also caught some real large smallies on the chaterbait type lure.

Shakeyhead 1/8 - 3/8 oz light wire with 4-6 inch finesse worms. Seem for me to consistently out perform the TX rig for me. I've been trying (OK for a year thats 4 weeks for me in 2008!!!LOL) the slow/plastics.

Trep

2 baits out performed everything else in my arsenal this year. For topwater, I like a murray clear Lucky Craft Sammy, and when all else fails my go to rig in darker water is a T-rigged all black Zoom 7" trickworm.

My best two were #1 my own hand poured mini carolina worm in strawberry/firetail and then a unweighted senko in the same color. I just learned the senko this year and it was a very close second to my own hand pours. Now I am going to have to make/buy a senko mold.

For topwater I'd have to say the Yellow Magic 2 1/2 popper color "Alewife" throws like no other. The fish trashed this lure this year and also the Strike King XXX Finesse worms Texas rigged. I pulled a 9 1/2 pounder on that bait this year at Lake Falcon

My #1 go to lure is the Zoom Fluke. I rig it several ways depending on how the fish want it.

#2 this year was a Bomber Fat Free Shad in Pearl Shad color. I very first and biggest bass of the year came of this one. A 7lb 9oz back in March.

Depends on the lake. Amistad super spook and white spinner bait. Falcon spinner bait and 10" worm, watermelon red or blue fleck, and choke chatter bait and yum dinger, watermelon red.

Any dark colored garlic scented 6" plastic worm no weight texas rigged or a jointed floating Rapala.:wacko: Make my own garlic scent. Just have to keep my wife from using it her cooking:wacko: ;)

1. Zoom Finess / shakey head

2. Carilina rig / Net Bait baby Paca Craw

3. Plippin / Net Bait baby Paca Craw

Northridge gumdrop floater in firetiger with a minnow or half a crawler. Minnow and firetiger Knuckleball jig usually eight oz. My fish have teeth with white smiles.

fatrap

Potomac

1. Spinnerbait

2. Buzzbait

3. Senko

St Clair

1. Senko with the football head

new to me this year- 1/2 oz Eakins heavy cover finesse football jig(peanut butter and jelly) with a yum muy twin tail grub in green pumpkin. Caught a 6+ smallie and a 6+ largemaouth on it. fished from Arkansas to Kansas and produced everywhere. Also a white/chartruse Chatterbait.

Stand-bys- Zoom brush hog (watermelon/gold flake or watermelon/purple) for flippin and of course the Spro bronzeye frog for top.(Impatiently awaiting for the popping version!!!!)

Tim

Latest posts

Back