Yes, this happened......

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyco

NTO Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Years back, we were launching our boat and this happened next to us. He just bought the boat and wanted to take his daughters out. Felt bad for the guy.

I think part of the tire/axle hooked on a steep incline by the ramp and ripped the axle right off.

Attachments

• Lost Axle Boat.jpg
    Lost Axle Boat.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 0
That would suck.

The boat ramp offers up loads of entertainment. I am amazed at the people who can't back a trailer.
I agree with the entertainment. A long time ago, when we were camping, my wife and kids enjoyed going with me to the ramp around dinner time just to watch the boats being loaded onto trailers. In the 50 years of towing travel trailers and boats (many times with a boat behind a travel trailer), I know I have furnished some entertainment. Just last year I was having a lot of trouble backing our trailer into a camping spot. After 5 or six tries, I had to let my wife help me. It wasn't until the next day that I realized the camera display - that I have used for several years - was in reverse image mode. When I told my wife what had happened, she told me that she thought I was having a stroke. Not because I had trouble with the trailer, but because I asked her for help.

How has the backing gone since you realized the mirror was in reverse image mode?

I've alway said, grab some beer and watch thr show at a boat ramp. Some good stuff!

Side story, we were on a lake, my buddy dumped me in, and parked. When he came back, a guy was struggling to load his boat in the wind, so my buddy helped, was a $#*! Show. Funny tho. So when he got done, I picked him up off the dock, and he tells me that the guy had told him a really nice crappie location(we limited out in two hrs). Hahaha

(Pic of my buddy in the guys boat helping and guy to far left yelling at the poor guy trying to load his boat, which didnt help)

Attachments

• 20220520_143330.jpg
    20220520_143330.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
LOL, Awesome.

What was funny (not funny), is the girls(guys daughters), were in the boat, and I heard them say to dad, "I guess were not going boating". I felt bad for the guy.

I'm all for helping someone, but this situation was FUBAR, told him to drag it up to the parking lot.......

Learning to back your boat in the water is a right of passage for most new boaters. Pretty much everyone has run into one problem or another. I feel its always better to help out at the ramp. The faster you get the troubled boat out on the water or off the ramp the sooner you can launch your boat and go fishing. But do find myself shaking my head at what I see on any weekend at a boat ramp.

Backing at the boat ramp is a rite of passage we all went thru. Unfortunately there are those with intoxicated intelligence that makes it a miserable experience.

Rarely have a problem launching early in the morning. Its mostly taking my boat out mid afternoon that the Clueless and Discourteous people seem to be there. Ramp “Etiquette “ should be taught with the Safe Boating coarse.

I have seen plenty of head shakers at the boat ramp. An unfortunate amount of them are due to stupidity or lack of respect for others. There is one event, however, that will stick in my mind forever. I arrived at the boat ramp to find a SUV backed up with the trailer in the water, and the boat was up over the tongue and well into the smashed window and crumpled back end of the SUV. I don't know exactly how things transpired, but he shared some of the details. One of his kids fell out the back of the boat as he was unloading and he ran over her. He then threw it into forward and drove up over his trailer. Thankfully his kid wasn't hurt by the boat or the propeller.

I have seen plenty of head shakers at the boat ramp. An unfortunate amount of them are due to stupidity or lack of respect for others. There is one event, however, that will stick in my mind forever. I arrived at the boat ramp to find a SUV backed up with the trailer in the water, and the boat was up over the tongue and well into the smashed window and crumpled back end of the SUV. I don't know exactly how things transpired, but he shared some of the details. One of his kids fell out the back of the boat as he was unloading and he ran over her. He then threw it into forward and drove up over his trailer. Thankfully his kid wasn't hurt by the boat or the propeller.
Now that’s a scary situation.

I have seen may things happen at the boat ramp, including vehicles in the water and boats sliding down the ramp into the water off of the trailer.

yes, some people!

Attachments

• Boat ramp wrong.jpg
    Boat ramp wrong.jpg
    719.5 KB · Views: 0
Another one for Y'all.
Having moved from Wis. after retirement in 98, We still had our 3 year (new) 2000DC W/200 Merc. We decided to sell the boat thru a local Broker.
About a week later, they called and noted that they had an accident with a potential Buyer at the Boat Ramp. (steep Truman Lake ramp).

Said the fellow unhooked the winch strap and, get this, he also unhooked the Safety strap. "At the top of the ramp"!
He proceded to back our rig down the ramp and, well, you know. It went flying off the trailer, down the concrete ramp, into the water.
Sort of reconfigured the stern design.

Guess I did not mention that we have always sprayed the trailer bunks with Silicone spray to ease the on/off of the boat to/from the trailer.
We still do so. Never thought anyone would EVER consider taking off the Safety Strap before being at the water's edge. New Southern thing to us.
Yes, they purchased the boat for full price.

Attachments

• Scan_20221220 (2).png
    Scan_20221220 (2).png
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Another one for Y'all.
Having moved from Wis. after retirement in 98, We still had our 3 year (new) 2000DC W/200 Merc. We decided to sell the boat thru a local Broker.
About a week later, they called and noted that they had an accident with a potential Buyer at the Boat Ramp. (steep Truman Lake ramp).

Said the fellow unhooked the winch strap and, get this, he also unhooked the Safety strap. "At the top of the ramp"!
He proceded to back our rig down the ramp and, well, you know. It went flying off the trailer, down the concrete ramp, into the water.
Sort of reconfigured the stern design.

Guess I did not mention that we have always sprayed the trailer bunks with Silicone spray to ease the on/off of the boat to/from the trailer.
We still do so. Never thought anyone would EVER consider taking off the Safety Strap before being at the water's edge. New Southern thing to us.
Yes, they purchased the boat for full price.
You got to give that guy credit owning up to his mistake and still buying your boat.

Latest posts

Back