XR6 vs EFI vs Optimax

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Wardell

Reaction score
I'm in the process of buying my first offical bass boat. I think one of the most important issues is a good running motor, which is easy to maintain. I would like to know, which motor will give me the best value for my buck and have the least maintenance issues. The boat I'm considering is a 901 with a 200HP Merc.

Thanks in advance,

Ed

EdW, do a search for them past 3 months on those words. This subject has been highly discussed here, especially recently. The best motor for you is what you can afford and what you need for gas conservation!

Ed,

Good question Ed, this is always a strong debate...LOL

I don't own one but I've been in 901's and 929's with Opti's and they perform like a champ. The Opti's come with a better warranty (3yr vs. 1yr) and if you fish tournaments or use the boat a lot you'll make up the difference in fuel alone in 2 to 3 seasons. I've been with Curtis when his 901 hit 72mph GPS. It starts up like no other motor I've seen, there is no smoke and less pollution.

With out question, my next boat will have an Opti.

Marke

My biggest beef with optis was their reliability or the lack thereof! However, per my good friend Mac, a somewhat reliable source, the problems have been resolved. I DO know that Merc stands behind their product like no other motor company! I was running WOT last year on glass in Buzz's 896 with the 200 efi. A 901 with a 200 opti walked right by me like he had nothing better to do. He also had a plate on it, but he was clearly topping 70 mph, because we were GPS'n at 65! They start smooth and quiet, and eat way less gas. In big tourneys with long runs....it's worth every penny if you don't have to stop to gas back up! I lost 30 minutes a day gasing up in the 'start because that efi would eat ALL 50 gallons in a little over 2 hours of running.

EFI or Opti....I'd go with the Opti if you plan on using the boat alot!!...You'll cut your gas bill in 1/2!! IMO.

Mac

Three year warranty, makes me wonder why. I believe the EFI is more reliable, I think over the past few years it has proven its self, while the opti has proven it needs a three year warranty to entice buyers. Just my thoughts, Later<>< <>< <>< <>< Jack

If anything happens to that EFI's powerhead (never say never,,and never say always) you'll WISH you had a 3 yr warranty on it when/if it has to be repaired!! There's NOTHING wrong with a multi year warranty!! Quite frankly I'd be leary of dropping 8-10grand on a motor and only get a 1 year warranty!! Buy that Opti during a boat show and you'll get a 5 year warranty!!! THAT's the way to go!!!

Anything less is huuuge gamble!! just my .02

Here's a simple guideline:

Cost is critical factor: XR6

Simplicity is critical factor: XR6

Reliability is critical factor: XR6 or EFI

Ease of use is critical factor: EFI or Opti

Fuel economy is critical factor: Opti

Low emissions is critical factor: Opti

Money is no object: Opti

XR6 is simple and reliable, yet the least refined. EFI is less simple yet reliable and somewhat refined. Opti is the most complicated and may be reliable, and is very refined. They all perform well when it comes to delivering horsepower.

And there is no right answer.

Scott, hopefully you'll find the motor of your dreams.

Merry Christmas.

Well..... I may dream about Optimax..... Just can't afford her..... (sigh)..... What the heck..... You know me..... I'm most happy with a "used" XR6 or EFI anyway!

Happy Holidays to you, Jeanne and Zach, Rich!

me!

Scott,

I was wondering...about your dating criteria...just when and what "low emissions"...what have you been dating lately... I think if you start with chicks on four wheels first...you might not have an emissions factor to consider... "Biker Chicks with Boats" haven't seen it but I will rent it when it comes to a video emporium in my neighborhood.

The XR6 will allow about 25% of its fuel to be expelled UNBURNED through the exhaust. Had I known that one little fact, I really think I could've convinced my wife to let me upgrade to the EFI or the Opti.

I knew they were gas hogs. Now I know why.

On the flip side of the coin, with the XR6, you won't have any computer chips or circuit boards to worry about. I like being able to do on-the-water repairs myself. If you blow a circuit board or computer chip, all kinds of fun things can happen. I initially liked the idea of the XR6 because it is simple, easy to repair and a straight-forward 2-cycle. Proven technology. But now I don't like the idea of all that gasoline being dumped into the water.

Don't worry about fixing it yourself on the water.....

Do as I do.....

Take Meyer along to do the job for you!

Marke, use it!

Send commission checks to...ahh, forget it.

Mo,

Yes, my "On The Water Fishing Companion Service - Gold Level" does include remote shifting and motor adjustments...

On the serious side, I am no expert and will look around for the info...But, have been told that it takes relatively little time for that unburned gas and oil to be broken down by "little microbial critters" in the lakes and rivers. The assumed pollution from the unburned fuel just may not be as big of a problem as perceived..now that the lead is out.

Any "experts" out there on this issue?

Greg

Thanks everyone for the input. It looks like the Opti is the way to go, if I can get the 5 year warranty. I'm a bit concerned about the reliability issue. Without the 5 year warranty I'll go cheap, get the XR6 and wait for Merc to solve it's problems on their time, not mine.

Thanks again, tight lines and Happy New Year !!!

Ed

Ed,

Check with the dealer about getting an extended warranty beyond the factory warranty... You pay but they give you great peace of mind.

Ed - Just checked your profile, I was BORN in Fairlawn NJ at ST. Joseph's hospital and lived till 6 in Pompton Lakes just off the lake! Been back up there a few times on business and saw my folks old house - cool!

You'll love the 901 which ever motor you get!

Back