X-4 Battery Location Options

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssmorga78

Reaction score
So, I just picked up a "New to Me" 2009 X-4 with a 50hp Mercury on the back. I am getting ready to install a 24v trolling motor in it and wondering if it would be wise to move the 2 deep cycles to the front storage area to help with weight distro? I guess my biggest hesitation is that I am not sure how thick the floor is up there to be able to mount battery trays. Anyone had experience doing this on an X-4 that could share a little insight?

I'm not familar with your boat. But looking at the basic specs, I would guess it would be ok to move them forward a bit. I wouldn't put them all the way into the nose, either. Your 50HP may struggle a bit to bet on plane, otherwise. I wouldn't screw in the trays, but either epoxy or glue the trays (low lip style) with 3M 5200.

For your situation, being under powered, I can highly recommend that you use the SE 300 Hydro foil. You will see a shocking increase in lift performance from the engine and not have to move you batteries. DO NOT get the no drill kit that uses the clamps. You will lose the unit sooner or later with the clamp mechanism. The unit comes with a very good templet and the botls/washers to use drilling 4, 1/4" holes and bolting directly to the cavitation plate. I've used one for the past 15 years on two boats including my 2017, Z18 with the 150 four. 5 years running with no issues. I wouldn't be without it now.. super easy hole shot regardless of the load. I've never seen any speed increase with it but it's amazing for hole shot. I use the Atlas hydraulic jack plate and it makes me able to run the jack as much as 4" high, on plane, in shallow water and keep water at the prop for proper cooling.

Your boat will come on plane much more eaisly- it's a simple, inexpensive and permanent fix.

I have the same issue. I put in 3 lead batteries in the stern "2 on the port for the 24v troller, 1 on the starboard for starter". There is also a tank of gas in the way back. Also when I fill the livewell and 2 people sit in the back... it's very back heavy. I had 3 total guys on the other day and one had to sit in the front to get my 60HP Evenrude on plane. I can either move the 2 batteries up to under the front seat "free, but pain". Or get all lithium "$$$$". Not sure what to do.

I have the same issue. I put in 3 lead batteries in the stern "2 on the port for the 24v troller, 1 on the starboard for starter". There is also a tank of gas in the way back. Also when I fill the livewell and 2 people sit in the back... it's very back heavy. I had 3 total guys on the other day and one had to sit in the front to get my 60HP Evenrude on plane. I can either move the 2 batteries up to under the front seat "free, but pain". Or get all lithium "$$$$". Not sure what to do.
Well, I ended up doing both trolling batteries the same as you, on the port side, and left the cranking battery on the starboard side. I did however install an Electronics Only battery up in the front storage compartment right in front of the console on the starboard side. I didn’t have a problem getting up on plane with me and 1 other guy ….. but I didn’t have the livewell filled either. I’m around 250lbs and the guy that was with me is around the same if not a little heavier. I did end up installing a SE300 Sport hydrofoil about a week ago but haven’t been out to test it out. So who knows if it was a waste of money or not.

Well, I ended up doing both trolling batteries the same as you, on the port side, and left the cranking battery on the starboard side. I did however install an Electronics Only battery up in the front storage compartment right in front of the console on the starboard side. I didn’t have a problem getting up on plane with me and 1 other guy ….. but I didn’t have the livewell filled either. I’m around 250lbs and the guy that was with me is around the same if not a little heavier. I did end up installing a SE300 Sport hydrofoil about a week ago but haven’t been out to test it out. So who knows if it was a waste of money or not.
you will be amazed at the improved lift....
I've been running one for years on two big boats. It was the first thing that I added to my new Z-18 when I purchased it back in 2017. It saves fuel and a lot of unnecessary stess on the enging and drive- fully loaded on plane everytime with 3500 RPM.
Do not make the mistake of getting the "clamp on" version. The unit comes with an excellent templet to drill 4, 1/4" holes in the cavitation plate. If your engine is at the proper height the unit will be above the waterline while on plane.. SSMORGA78, let me know what you think after you use it?

you will be amazed at the improved lift....
I've been running one for years on two big boats. It was the first thing that I added to my new Z-18 when I purchased it back in 2017. It saves fuel and a lot of unnecessary stess on the enging and drive- fully loaded on plane everytime with 3500 RPM.
Do not make the mistake of getting the "clamp on" version. The unit comes with an excellent templet to drill 4, 1/4" holes in the cavitation plate. If your engine is at the proper height the unit will be above the waterline while on plane.. SSMORGA78, let me know what you think after you use it?
Yeah, I had been warned about the clamp on version being and "Unwise" choice ... so I bought and mounted the bolt-on version. Hoping to be able to test it this coming weekend to see what kind of improvement it makes. Definitely don't wanna have to run the motor up to 5000rpm just to get up on plane and stay there. The 50hp Merc makes it an underpowered glass boat .... but a 115hp is just not in my budget right now.

How do you put up your batteries in the bow?
Trolling batteries & Electronics batteries are easy .... shorter run of cable straight to the batteries. I just screwed a tray down inside my front compartment in front of the console. There is enough room there for 2 trays, side by side with them turned sideways(long ways front to back). Trying to do a starting battery up front might be a little complicated though.

Latest posts

Back