WTF is BASS/ESPN Thinking???

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill McElroy

Reaction score
Taken from BassFan,....I don't get it...I really don't!! WTF is BASS thinking??? I've never felt ill will towards them until this year,...I really wish they'd fall flat on their faces and because of their new "rules",...see 99% of the BASS Pro's all jump ship and either go to the FLW OR create their own PAA/Federation sanctioned trail!! Those folks in Orlando are idiots!!

KVD can't sign (updated) 9/27/2005

Although BASS mailed registration packets to anglers last week that outlined rules and formats for its 2006 Elite Series, nearly the entire industry awaits further clarification of those rules. BassFan spoke with a number of anglers and manufacturers about the new rules, and details of those interviews are forthcoming, but here's what Professional Anglers Association (PAA) president Kevin VanDam had to say about them.

"We (the PAA board) met last night. What was real clear was that, without a doubt, as a group, all of us have received tremendous response from our membership. Everybody is extremely unhappy or displeased for a variety of reasons with that package. There's many points the anglers take issue with."

He added: "Then, this is Kevin VanDam speaking

They screwed up what has worked for years trying to keep up with the Irwin Method. They were and could still be the PREMIER Bass fishing curcuit... BUT...

All the brain surgeons that know very little about running the outfit has to scramble to come up with money making ideas... and they don't think them through...

You cannot turn fishing into Nascar... and thats exactly what they are modeling this after!!

KB

I think KB is right, I have not seen this contract or any info on it, but what I gather from what I have read is this. Just like the the cars and drivers in cashcar are required to carry decals and sport logos on there uniforms to be able to collect money from the cashcar prime sponsors. bass is trying to make it manditory to run a wrapped boat (with there logos, ect and also wear them on there shirts) with there personal sponsors? That is a guess, again I don't have any facts to back it up. I have already made my choice to not fish there events next year, still not sure what I am going to do yet. I may go back to racing cars, it's got all the same politics and pays about the same......

BF

After proof reading my reply that should be Circuit... Thanks and enjoy the rest of the day at the park

since ESPN took over its all about money I even canceld my BassMaster mag

JD

Interesting feedback and comments (both from within NTOWS and the Pro's).

I don't know the particulars concerning the contracts. I suspect that some of the pro's do have in fact contracts they have signed individualy, that require them to provide certain advertising space/signage/etc in certain forms.

I'm guessing that ESPN/BASS does not get a cut of that. Seems to me that one of several things will need to happen - in no particular order.

1) BASS/ESPN will need to adjust their position/rules to allow some type of Grandfathering for the pros.

2) BASS/ESPN will need to adjust the rules, regardless (depending upon the results).

3) The Pro's that have signed certain contracts, will likely need to adjust them accordingly.

Let's remember that when you sign a contract to perform services for pay, you take a risk that the conditions that you sign under will remain unchanged. If anything, we should all understand that things DO NOT STAY THE SAME.

In the case of some of these pro's, it sounds as though they would not be able to compete on the FLW circuit either (but I'm on very shaky ground concerning the precise rules here).

The biggest mistake that I see the pro's making right now, is they are trying to negotiate/make their case to the public. It is best done in private. BassFan is loving this, as it brings many, many more readers/advertisers to their site and their bottom line.

Tex

They've been messed up for years....it's just showing how bad recently.

And yes it's ALL about the Benjamen's.....

I can say that's one of the reasons I don't watch NHRA races anymore or pay those rediculous prices they want to get in the gate. You see the SAME people dominating the sport and if you don't have the big sponsors (which BTW..you have to have the money to begin with) YOU ARE HISTORY! It takes the fun out for sure and it KILLS competition!:angry:

Tex,..keep in mind,....these pro's signed their contracts (many of them are multi-year) long before BASS/ESPN dreamed up these "new rules". Logo placement on shirts was never an issue with BASS before ESPN took over. Most pro's contracts (including my BPS contract) specify "where" on the appearal the logo must appear. This is done for visibility purposes..."prime real estate" they call it. Anyway,...BASS/ESPN is stating that now it's THEIR spot and the Pro's must oblige, when the Pro's have signed contracts stating that they'll put their sponsor's logo's there in exchange for a "salary"....the higher the salary,..the better (and larger) the logo and it's location! BASS/ESPN is basically telling the Pro's,.."We don't care about your legal or ethical obligations,.....it's our way or the highway!! That leaves the pro's with lucrative sponsor contracts little choice but to say....seeya!! (OR, they'll have to renegotiate their contracts with the paying sponsors and revise the wording of their contracts to allow for the new BASS/ESPN rulings......which by the way...they STILL don't have clear deffinition of. ESPN is screwing this up in a HUUUUGE way......Irwin has to be laughing his arss off watching all of this.

Mac,

I certainly agree with you on many of your points. Are they screwing up - we will have to wait and see. Right now, some of the pro's are unhappy. At least three of them. Of course, one of those three is pretty important.

I understand about the sponsor obligations that the pro's have signed. But I believe you will not find BASS/ESPN's John Hancock on those contracts. My point being, that whenever you sign a contract (especially multi-year), you take certain risks that all things remain the same. In general, all things never remain the same. ESPN/BASS has the ability (as does FLW) to 'dream up' new rules anytime they want to. Of course, they also have to take whatever actions/backlash/problems that come with that. But individual contracts that the pro's signed, is not the concern of ESPN/BASS (or FLW), nor should it be. It's called taking a calculated risk.

It still bothers me that the PAA seems only to care about their dealings with BASS. I don't see or hear them at all trying to deal with FLW. Yes, I'm sure that Irwin Jacobs is having a good chuckle right now. However, if the PAA is TRULY representing (or trying to) represent the Professional Angler, Irwins time in the barrell is coming.

The other factor that many will have to consider is this. Some of these pro's do not have anywhere else to go. If they have contracts that require them to have certain signage on boats/shirts, then they won't be able to fish FLW either. Of course, that may be why some of them do not fish FLW.

Of course, with the current prices of gas, all this may be a moot point!

Tex

The pro's have to chose between BASS's new restrictive rules or FLW's restrictive rules. BASS is at least giving them some leeway depending on who their sponsors are. FLW isn't being pushed by the PAA because they are operating under the same rules they always have, BASS is the one that is changing the rules to suit the tour sponsors. It seems that the only option that is becoming more feasible for the PAA is coming up with their own trail. I would be willing to bet that if the were to get the TV airtime it would happen.

Velcro,

Good points. However, FLW has problems getting good TV coverage (and no, FOX Sports or OLN or The Outdoor Channel no where near the coverage that ESPN has). Where is the PAA going to get coverage from - and who is going to sponsor their 'tour'.

Let's not forget, that most of the Pro's are required in their contracts, to fish either (sometimes both) FLW or BASS/ESPN. That is going to prove to be a problem. You don't think that Nitro/Tracker/BassPro is going to allow KVD to go fish FLW (and not ESPN/BASS), do you?

In January, we will know who is fishing where. I suspect, that by then, we will find most all of the same BASS Pro's fishing BASS, and FLW Pro's fishing FLW. After all, it's gonna be pretty difficult for some of these pro's to gain entry into the FLW ranks without boat sponsorship and not having fished FLW before.

Tex

We'll know WELL before Feb,......they have to have their BASS entry $$ sent in by Oct. 14th!

I think BASS/ESPN will back off on this one too.....atleast for 2006 anyway..LOL

my .02 on the matter, BASS is really putting the screws to the anglers on this one. By taking away that prime space they are taking money out of the anglers pockets period. Its total BS and it once again proves that ESPN/BASS is all about the money and could care less about the anglers. Are the anglers getting a cut for having those patches on thier shirts? I seriously doubt it.

I saw the Nascar analogy used for the stickers that are on the cars. Its not really a good analogy. Nascar requires if i remmber correctly 5 things to be displayed on the car. #1 is the car number, #2 is the nascar logo #3 is the little sunoco sticker( only fuel that can be used) #4 is the good year sticker( only tire allowed) and #5 is the rookie stripes on the rear bumper if the driver is a rookie. All of the other stickers you see are contingency sponsors logos, meaning the teams get paid for displaying those logo's on the car. Its not a big amount but its something. They are totally optional and if you look really close they vary from car to car. Some like 3m or Moog seem to show up on every car but others like Edelbrock or Pepsi dont depending on what car it is. The "prime" areas on the car IE hood, rear deck, rear quarter, and any camera locations are for the teams sponsors not nascar.

By BASS taking those "prime" areas they are severly limiting the anglers ability to get sponsors. And they are doing it for thier benefit and hurting the anglers in the process. ITs bad busines in my opinion.

Lot's of good conversation here.

I agree that ESPN/BASS is having problems. Let's also remember that the braintrust that is now running ESPN/BASS has changed, and is changing. They will find stability at some point in time.

In reference to 'severly limiting the anglers ability to get sponsors' . . .

You also just described FLW and Irwin Jacobs. In short, ESPN/BASS is somewhat adopting what FLW has been doing for years. If it's not someone that is an FLW sponsor, it doesn't go on your clothes. And their camera time is pretty much limited to their FLW Wrapped boats.

Mac - I totally agree with your comments on the deadline for entry and also the 2006 Tour. It's a changing landscape, and will likely remain that way for awhile yet.

Tex

Tex, the fLW only limits sponsors logo's on clothes on day 3 and 4 of thier tournaments. In my opinion thats BS too.

Jim,

You are correct. Here are the rules:

17. Logo usage and television coverage

On Days 3 and 4, no logos, patches, or decals, other than the Wal-Mart FLW Tour logo or logos of Wal-Mart FLW Tour sponsors may be worn or displayed during the tournament hours extending through the weigh-in.

On Days 3 and 4 anglers who make the cut must use boats and wear shirts, rainsuits and PFD's supplied by sponsors of the Wal-Mart FLW Tour.

On Days 3 and 4 competitors may not fish while using tobacco products. Smoking is not allowed in the weigh-in line during all four days of competition.

Tex

I just checked Bassfan, it looks like BASS is backing off of some of the rules. They are sticking with the thing about not displaying any logos from trails that compete with BASS, can't really blame them for that one.

Latest posts

Back