Wrong Year Outboard!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Determined

Reaction score
I purchased New B M T from Bass Pro in 2014 Targa V18 150 4 stroke 9.9 Kicker. I recently discovered the Main motor is a 2012 year model not a 2014. No where on any paper work is there agreement to purchase a 2012 motor...
Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions on what I might do . I think this is False representation.
What do you think?

When I picked up my new Nitro there was a specific document stating that Mercury does not put model years on their motors. Had to sign a document that I was informed of this and understood it.

When I picked up my new Nitro, the documentation was very clear: 2016 Boat, 2016 Trailer, and 2015 Mercury Outboard. I know what you're feeling. I was disappointed when I saw my motor was an earlier model year, until I thought about it. It makes sense because the motors would be shipped to Nitro and be placed in stock, to later be installed on boats under construction. Each model year boat might have motors from the previous year, except maybe those manufactured later in the year. But, late in the year you are getting into the next model year of boat, so the cycle repeats itself. A two year difference might not be a stretch if they bought a lot of 2012 150 4 strokes and didn't sell them all in 2013. Did you buy your boat in early 2014?

In my opinion, any boat manufacturer should install current year motors on their product. Some people might be waiting for the new models so they can get features only on the latest model motor. A person purchasing a 2021 model boat should get a 2021 model motor.

The manufacturers won't have to get stuck with old motors. They probably bought them in quantities at very deep discounts. They could sell those leftover motors through factory outlet sites simply because there is always people shopping around at factory outlet sites for old stock-new motors. I know, I've done that myself.

1st It is late 2020. It took you 4 years to figure this out? I would think you are way outside any legal recourse on your part, therefore don't sweat it. 2nd Understand that Manufacture date and model year date may be different. e.g. You can currently buy some 2021 model cars that are manufactured in 2020.

Search your serial number to determine you model year.

To those of you who responded.....thanks you for your input. I feel it is deceptive and negative business practice. I will likely upgrade to Verado, nothing wrong with my 4 stroke but more power is always better.....

There is actually a sticker on the motor. The 2 numbers ion the box represent the year of manufacture. As someone stated, they order in bulk to get a cheaper price, which should give you a better price.

To those of you who responded.....thanks you for your input. I feel it is deceptive and negative business practice. I will likely upgrade to Verado, nothing wrong with my 4 stroke but more power is always better.....
Good morning. If you haven't purchased your boat yet, you can't go wrong with the Verado engine. I have the 150 Verado on my 20102 Targa combo. more than ample power. The throttle system is great although took a little getting used to. When you hit the gas, the response is immediate. I'm not sure about the new model year motors but mine has an extra set of intake holes on the bottom of the lower unit to provide more water flow for cooling.

Determined,
One year model difference is fairly commonly done.
I think two years difference definitly reqired that you be informed of that in the original sale. Wouldn't hurt to check with the appropriate lawyer to see if you migh have any recourse in that situation.

Latest posts

Back