Would You Use One?

• Thread starter Scott Hammer TOXIC
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
Got my new CastAway lineup for 2008 and they have 2 new series of rods. One is called the Skeleton (super light weight) and the other is called the Voyager. It is a new 3 piece high end travel rod. That REALLY caught my interest. It has been a long time since anyone has attempted a high end travel rod. It comes with it's own case. I'm going to try a couple just to see how they perform. How do you think they will be received? After all, the fly fishermen have been doing it for years and those rods can reach $500. I can't wait to try one.

TOXIC

Personally.... I don't fish with two piece, three piece, etc... rods. Just not my thing. I also don't fish with a telescopic flipping stick either though - mine are one piece also.

I don't know... only time will tell. But most bass fishermen I know that look for "high end" rods won't even consider a two piece.

All the best,

Glenn

Count me as one of them but my experience with CastAway is that they make an excellent stick.....and remember these are not everyday rods, just for traveling when you want to take a rod a reel, or 2 with you. Have you ever tried to fly with rods??? What a PITA.:lol: I'll report back after I get them and try them.

PS Glenn, I'll be picking up your Senko's this weekend.....fresh from the cooker!!:lol:

TOXIC

I agree with Glenn, and you Toxic, about two piece rods etc.. I only like one piece rods but they ARE a PITA to carry around.

I'd certainly be interested in something that's not a darn toy that I could carry with me. I'd like to have a dollar for every time I saw or passed some water where I shook my head wishing I had a rod and reel with me.. I wouldn't mind trying one either..

Uncle Billy

I'll have you know I still have my Pocket Fisherman.....

In a New York minute. Not only has the rod-making technology changed, vastly improving multi-piece rods, but I've been using a multi-piece bamboo casting rod with metal ferrules for several years now with great success. In addition, avid fly-fisherman have been using multi-piece fly rods for years with solid results. While I prefer one-piece for boat convenience, I see no reason for not using them.

I keep a couple 2 piece rods for those times when I get to go fish away from home or in someone elses boat. Like the Hot side a few years ago with the Va group. I wouldn't have been able to bring 1 piece rods. Toxic probably would have let me borrow a couple, but if something stupid happens I would much rather break my own stuff. I would love to get there again some day.

Gene

You had to bring up the Pocket Fisherman. Went to Ebay and bid on one. I forgot all about them:cool: And yes TOXIC I would buy one! I Won,I Won. I now own a pocket fisherman:D

Gene - We are having another Memorial Fishing TX on the 1st of December. You are certainly welcome to join us again. See other post.

Rod technology has come a long way. As a sometimes fly fisherman, the newer multi-piece rods are every bit as good as the single piece. In fact, its getting harder and harder to find a one piece 9 foot fly rod! So a high end spinning or baitcasting rod that can be broken down for travelling would be welcome.

And for those still yearning for a pocket fisherman, check out these updated versions (NOT to be compared in quality to the serious multi-piece rods!):

http://www.instantfisherman.net/?TrackId=1589449&Custom=

https://www.buyfishpen.com/?cid=363857

OMG !

I have one of those SA fishpens!

FIL gave it to me:rolleyes:

Bill, I saw the other post and wish I could do it. I still have the info for directions on the GPS. No more vacation time. :( Maybe in the future though. I think it's only an 8 or 10 hour drive.

Gene

All Star has made high end travel rods for years. And they are historically a bad seller....but if you NEED one...you HAVE to have one. I do :)

Mini

Tox,

Nothing like that fresh gooey Senko smell when they come right out of the oven, huh? Mmmmm.... I'm hungry now. I think I had some Powerbait... uhh I mean a "Powerbar" around here somewhere. :lol: Thanks!

On the rod issue - I perfectly understand the use... but I just don't see it as being a huge seller. Even in a travel rod configuration, it doesn't really appeal to me. I've had my cheapie travel rods crushed while coming back from FL, and that ticked me off. If I were to open the travel case and find a high-end travel rod crushed, that would tick me off even more.

I also understand where those that compare to fly rods are coming from - but really, bass rods and fly rods cannot really be compared. I have older multi-piece fly rods, and the "hidden" furrels are nothing like bass fishing rods. Now if they were to make a bass fishing multi-piece rod similar in styling to those that I am speaking of, then yeah, I would see a certain "appeal", but I'm still not really convinced of the high dollar, "gonna be crushed by the minimum wage baggage handler anyway", rods. :p:lol:

I do hope that they do well with them, as I hate to see anyone fail in any endeavor.

All the best,

Glenn

Ha!!

As a matter of fact I have a Scott Brightwater flyfishing rod that is a 9 weight. Ued it a lot for smallies and even caught striper in the bay on it. Burned the bejesus outta my palm till I got used to fighting the striper!!

I will be ordering a couple of these to try out. I could have REALLY used them last week on Powell!!

TOXIC
http://www.castawayrods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

Latest posts

Back