Wookiee's next line question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Shenton

Reaction score
I was at BPS today and did a lot line comparing. I noticed that Spider line XXX is a lot thinner than most others of comparable weight. This is of coarse a desirable trait in terms of casting, but I have trouble excepting that it is as strong as say, stren or trilene of the same weight (otherwise they would be thinner as well). I put Ande backcountry on my medium spinning combo and it coils really badly; so thats out. I picked up some Stren Magnaflex, but it hardly seems more limp than any other. I want to find a strong, coil free, easy, easy, casting mono for spinning in say an 10# test. I respect everyones specialized needs for 5 or 6 different kinds of line, but I want to find 1 (in different weights) that I use for light spinning (trout), medium spinning(bass) medium heavy casting (bass and in shore) and heavy spinning (inshore and surf. I don't want to fall into the trap of the equipment becoming more important that the fishing. Simple is good for me. I'm I crazy????

Thanks agian for your help....

In every endeavour there are differant tools to do differant jobs. You can't build a house with just a hammer, overhaul an engine with just a cresent wrench, and unless your name is Tin Cup you can't play 18 holes with just a putter. I think part of the fun of fishing is experimenting with differant products and finding which ones work best for certian applications. I don't quite understand this quest you have for the Holy Grail of fishing line. There is no one best line for every type of fishing, if there were there were only be one brand instead of dozens. Why don't you just do like all of us have and spend a few hundred dollars and try them all. Then you will settle on one or two or three that you like to use in various situations.

Harpo

Or do like I did..... Start fishin' when you're only 10..... Spool with Stren cuz it was the only line the department store carried back then..... Just get used to it..... And then be too stuborn and set in your ways to change!

Try going one step lighter on the line for your spinning reels than you think you should use; that will help with it's coiling. Then set the drag a bit lighter so that you won't break the line. If you need a bit less give at the hookset, just put a finger on the spool lightly.

I've got 9 rods laid out in my office that I'm getting ready for the summer - 5 baitcasters and 4 spinning - every one of them is wound with Stren original clear.

There are 3 more baitcasters in my rack that I use for bait fishing. They have the larger diameter Abu Garcia reels. These have Stren clear/blue florescent so I can see slight movements in the line.

Two other spinning reels have clear Stren.

Imelda Marcos had shoes.....

I've got rods and reels.....

This year I go on 27 years fishing. I started when I was three. I always used mono back then. I started up again last year after a 6 or 7 year break. As you all know, I have tried a lot of the new "super" lines and I just have not been that impressed. I like the strength and sensitivity, but it's a pain in the "you know what" to un-knot, and I just like being able to trim it with my teeth. I think I am resigning myself to using mono. I guess if it's not broken, don't fix it. Thank you for all your feedback. I will bug you all, when I find a new tackle quest!!!!!!! ;-)

PS: Anybody need some slightly used Stren Super Braid, Fireline, Powerpro, or Iron Silk????????

Latest posts

Back