Wondering what you guys think of the aluminum F-150

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbstern

Reaction score
Seems like Ford is way out there on a limb with the new F-150, making extensive use of aluminum (700 pounds lighter than the previous model).

What do you think? World beater, or will they give up their place as the best selling pickup truck because truck buyers won't trust it?

I'm still up in the air on this. I just bought a 2013 F150 XLT and love it. I'm sure the 700 lbs less will save you on gas but what about the initial cost? What about repair costs? Are the body shops up on this type of repair? I'd have to watch to see if it sells and how it works out. Who knows, maybe it will catch on.
Barry from La. :)

The prototype was unveiled in January at the Detroit auto show. Will go on sale as a 2015.

Barry, my understanding is that Ford will largely hold the line on prices. But your comments about repair shops and repairs are dead on. If insurance rates go up dramatically due to increased repair costs, that could have a big negative impact on the truck's success in the market.

I think its the wave of the future, but there are definitely some headwind obstacles to push thru.

Ford already tried this in part on the Blackwood truck back in the day on the Lincoln. It was a bust and one of the reasons the truck failed amongst other things.

Greg,

Off topic but can you get me some information on Clinton Lake? My BIL is taking a high school angler there for a tournament in early April and knows nothing about it. They are Bass fishing.

TOX,

Get me his street addy and I will send a marked up map,,, He just might hit early spawners...

Latest posts

Back