Wiring

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick olivas

Reaction score
I just replaced an old motorguide 24v with a new Minn Kota Magnuum trolling motor. When I took the old motor off there were 3 wires, a red,white and black coming from the trolling motor foot pedal. From the batteries there are three wires also orange,red and black. My new motor only has 2 wires a black and a black and red. How would I wire this new motor? Thanks in advance, TOXIC hope you are out there!!

What gauge wire is it? It would be a good time to pull in new 6ga tinned wire. Jones Trolling Motors can help http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com/home2.htm

Here's one of his diagrams - Ignore the P1 connection for your setup

61.jpg

I do have 6g wire running from the batteries. When my 3rd wire is not connected I have very little power. I printed the format you listed and when I get off work I will give it a try.

Did you change out the trolling motor plug yet? Some of them have a jumper on the plug side. Make sure you test with a ohm/volt meter what you have on the bow plug

No plug on my boat. Went to website you listed. I took down website and Johns # and will be reading up tonight. Looks like a good forum to troubleshoot trolling motor issues. Thanks

here is a picture of the wiring from the old motor.orange red and black coming from the batteries and red white and black from the t motor. The new minn kota has only 2 wires black and black and red. HELP

So what's your hold up? Remove the orange wire, wire it at the battery like the diagram shows - ignore P1 and you're good to go. BUT remove that hodgepodge junction block up on the bow, its NOT needed. I would NOT wire my foot pedal that way because if those wires shorted for any reason - you've got a problem. You'll also need to insure you have a breaker on each hot lead of the TM batteries. Reason I HIGHLY suggest a plug is that you want to insure the TM is UNPLUGGED before you put the batteries on a charger, otherwise its very possible to damage the circuits in the TM. If you're wanting to hardwire it, that's your business but I'd never do it.

Airforce I took your advice and am putting in a plug this week. I picked one up at walmart for 30$. Thanks for the advise.

Good MAN!!! Don't let it rattle you. I highly suggest the Marinco Twist Lock Plug & Receptacle. Its much better than that other cheapie stuff that will corrode. But just keep in mind, EVERYTHING needs a little TLC so make it a habit EVERY year (usually fall) to do the maintenance. Check and look at everything that connects, that includes fuses, battery water levels (wet cell), steering gear, plugs and the list just goes on. But I'll tell ya one thing, once you've done it a couple of times, YOU WILL know you boat inside and out and if you intend on doing motor maintenance correctly - get yourself and OEM Service Manual from Don Weed - European Marine for your motor (by serial number), don't get a cheapie motor generic manual, you WILL save money in the long run. Happy Fishing Rick. Once you love your boat, it'll love you back ;)

I already purchased the plug, it is made by Minn Kota for Minn Kota so I hope it's well made. Funny you say to check everything that connects, last night I was looking around and found a small fuse that I think is for my main battery/motor and even though the wires were fine the mounting bracket was broke and walmart had the exact one so I picked it up also (small 1/2 inch by 1 in. ) mounted right above main battery. I just bought this boat last winter and even though the hull is a 99 it was well taken care of and the main motor is an 07 opti max 150 with low hours and I have a new t-motor. So I agree w/ know your boat I want to learn what makes it tick. Biggest no no the first year was not any winterizing this winter with the exception of extra startron in last trip to the lake, but conflicting info on Optimax, some say fog motor some say don't!! thanks for your 2 cents.

Plug is a marinco twist lock. That made me smile!! First fishing trip of the season on Saturday. Mouth of the Grand Canyon "lake mead" can't wait!!!!!

Latest posts

Back