Winterizing

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cq

Reaction score
I know we all take the time for the boat, trailer and rods/reels, but what about the tackle box?

Plastics, hooks, jerk baits, spinners. etc.

I do not always look at the tackle box until it is time to start back fishing and sometimes it can be a mess.

Any special tricks or ideas to pass along?

cq

I put all of my gear in the garage for winter. When pheasant season is over(January 31 here in Kansas), I bring it all in and re-organize it for the new year. Chris F.

I have 4 separate box groups. My saltwater bag will be used hopefully 1 more time. I will inventory, and make whatever leaders etc. I need for spring this winter on the days you can't fish.

Box 2A- hooks/lead/terminal tackle - I put a little fish formula (light oil base) on my bronze hooks. Plastics are stored in original bag separate from hooks and jig heads. If you don't and there is some rust it will discolor plastics. I put my warm-weather stuff up in the garage until spring. Box 2B lures- I don't do anything to except keep them dry and in the garage until spring. Box 2C- topwater is same as 2B, just keep it dry and clean

Box 3- Sauger jigs- keep a supply of these separate. Will add extra trebles with stinger line. I'll get this out and re-load it in a month. Winter is coming.

Box 4- Grubs and leadheads- keep only a half a pak of fresh grubs in the colors I use, plus multiple weight leadheads and reaplace lost after winter trips. This keeps them fresh and rotated. In spring these are put away ultil late fall, with the clean grubs back in the pack and the off colored ones in the trash.

Keeping this all separate makes it easy tp pick up what you need as you need, and keepw me from having a boatful of stuff I won't use during a particular trip, and makes for pretty easy storage.

I intentionally don't have a big box as it is just easier for me to rotate it all out the night before you go on a particular type of a trip.

i move it to the garage, and separate what i will need for the hot side, the rest waits for a snowy day im not fishing, and i go through everything, and then on other days i re oil my reels and clean my rods up real good.

mike c

Drop a couple of pieces of chalk into each box and it will prevent the hooks and other metal parts from rusting. I always have it in the boxes. The silicone teabag size packets that are used when a lot of stuff is shipped will work also. It's amazing how a little rust on a hook will compromise the strength.

TOXIC

I have four boxes full of everything. In my boat there is a place for every one of them but if I go with someone else it's a mess. I bought a huge tackle bag while I haven't been fishing but I can hardly pick it up empty so I know filled it will be out of the question.

I think I'm going to do what Berry does and give that a try. I already have a smaller bag and then I'm going to get some chalk and save all of the silica-gel I get in parcels.

I've said all of this before but then I start to thinking just what I didn't bring that is the only thing the Bass will hit that day.:D

Uncle Billy

I also have a travel box and it is amazing to me how much tackle you have to buy to outfit the boat AND a tackle box. I find myself getting confused on what I put where....i.e., I know I put it in the travel box but can't find it in the boat and visa versa. Old age I guess.

TOXIC

I know I put it in the travel box but can't find it in the boat and visa versa. Old age I guess.

You think so huh my friend?:huh: Just you wait until you ARE in your Golden Years you young whipper snapper..:lol::p

I never liked changing tackle boxes either because I'd always forget something but I'm going to try it again and hope for the best. The last time I took it all and put it in the back of Bruce's truck for the ride down there. It was really hard for him because the front wheels were hardly touching the ground and it was swinging back and forth because of all the weight in the back..

Uncle Billy

Latest posts

Back