Winterizing my Nitro

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geo. Beason

Reaction score
I am getting ready to winterize my Nitro for the first time. My first fiberglass boat. Anything different to do from my old PT175?

What needs to be done for the water pressure gauge?

Any good website info?

Actually from what I've seen I'll get as good as professional advice from this site.

This is the best site to GETTUR DONE!

The motor is the same, re-grease her. Get the water out of her lines, speedo/water pressure, run some sta-bil through the fuel lines til you're sure it got to the motor, fog the motor if you must, treat your tires, wax her up, make sure the cover doesn't have any low spots, some put RV antifreeze in the livewells and pump the mixture through the system (including pump out if you have it. Hmmmmmm...I'm still thinking because I don't do anything.....grease your hubs, put dilectic grease on as many of your connections as possible, cover your prop, if outside put some critter deterant in there, moisture absorber packets (or cans) in the compartments and a general overall cleaning (be sure to pull up the seats, I get a lot of gradoo in there (I don't know how).

TOXIC

You "obviously" don't know Mr. Mighty Mouse!!LOL If you store outside, I've heard of everything from cats, tree rats, mice, raccoons, snakes, birds, and so on getting in a tarped boat.

TOXIC

LOL... I know about critters getting under the boat cover but don't know what will keep them away.

Does anyone know?

Bill

Moth balls/flakes work great for keeping the mice and critters out, they dont like the smell. I hang one of those moth block hanger things off my steering wheel in the winter. I have never had a critter problem using it. i do have to let my boat air out in the spring but it works.

Ill second what Tox said. Also change the lower unit oil and i also put some rv antifreeze in the bilge just in case there is water in there. another thing is take some wd40 and give anything that might corrode a light coating of it ro prevent rust. Also now is a good time to take the prop off and make aure there is no line on the shaft and also grease the splines. Also pump grease into anything that has a fitting, you dont want any water in there that could freeze.

Here's a little trick to keep the mice out. Put a ring of roof

flashing arround the tires and jack stand,

i put moth balls in the spalsh well to stop mice from climbing up the motor, since its all the way down it easy for them to reach. dont forget to knock off the snow. I always put a camo colored tarp over my cover, to help water prook it and to keep the sun from killing it each winter, 15.00 is a small investment and my cover still looks brand new after 6 years.

Latest posts

Back