winterizing Merc SportJet 175

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian howard

Reaction score
this is my first winter for storing my Tracker PT185 Jet with the Merc SportJet 175 in unheated storage. i've gotten some conflicting opinions and stories from people in the past on winterizing or prepping my boat for the upcoming cold weather. i live in northern Illinois so without a doubt we will experience freezing temps regularly here soon. can anyone tell me what i need to do to prepare for this winter. i've been told i don't have to "winterize" this boat like you would an outboard and i've been told the opposite also. my problem is i'm hoping to continue to use it here in the next couple weeks of Nov. and even into Dec. if the weather stays mild, but i don't want any problems because i didn't prep it correctly for the winter. i am planning on calling a local marina that actually did some work on it earlier this spring. i just haven't had a chance yet. just curious to hear if anyone else has had a similar experience with this same motor. the guy at this marina told me that i didn't have to "winterize" it to the full extent. when i called and talked to a guy at the marina/shop at Bass Pro in Springfield, MO when i bought the boat used down there, i was told i didn't have to do it at all. i've also had someone tell me it isn't any different than owning an outboard and yes it needs to be done. thanks in advance.

Brian

Kankakee, IL

Brian-

I have no idea about anything specific to jet drives. But, I would start by treating the gasoline. Fil the tank and add a fuel stabilizer and run it long enough to get the stabilizer up into and thru the carb's. Also make sure the bilge and live wells are empty and left open. Charge and remove the batteries for extended storage. Loosen the straps at he bow and transom. And I even support mine at the axle with jack stands to relieve the pressure on the wheel bearings, and I keep the bearing buddies full of grease.

Im sure others will chime in with more, better info !

Brian:

I can't imagine why the engine in a SportJet would be any different from any other gasoline powered internal combustion engine when it comes to winterization. You would still need to winterize if it sits for several months unused. I've done some variation of winterization on my lawn mower, chain saw, motorcycles, etc. All internal combusion engines are subject to deteriorating gas and corrosion - two of the main things you try to minimize by winterizing.

Follow what Ken S. notes. You may also want to consider "fogging" the cylinders - that is, using a fogging oil to coat the interals of the cylinders with oil to prevent corrosion. Also consider running antifreeze through the bilge pump and livewell pump - the stuff made for RV pump systems works fine and is less toxic than the automotive stuff meant for engines. Keep the fuel tank full to cut down on condensation (i.e., water in the tank) and invest in a good cover. If you plan to use the boat about once a month until "real" winter hits, don't bother winterizing until you know the boat won't be used for a while. Winterizing really is for a boat/motor that will sit for a couple of months or more.

The two thing to be most concerned about would be water in the jet pump, and cooling water in the engine.

Unlike an outboard that will drain the water out when trimmed down, your engine would pump it through the engine just like an I/O would. They are flushed out with anti-freeze to keep from freezing.

The jet pump would need to be drained of any water also to keep from freezing and cracking. Same with any oil in thats in the pump, make sure it is fresh with no water in it to freeze up.

These are just my un-educated guesses, I would definately check with a marina that deals with Jet Skis to make sure. You don't want to learn anything the hard (and expensive) way.

Steve

Latest posts

Back