Winterizing a 90hp

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D.J. Gelder

Reaction score
The wife and I purchased a used 04 700lx in May and I can't believe it's already time to think about storing it before OL MAN winter arrives. How difficult is it to winterize this boat myself ?

A few questions....Which motor? Is it going to be outside? Normally, you would treat the fuel, clear out your speedo tube, fog your cylinders and a lot more optional stuff if you want to take the time...repack bearings..etc. Just in case you want to be anal....here's a better list:

-Computer Diagnostic (to read Run History and Freeze Frame "Fault" History). Run cylinder misfire test (*A compression test here is also a good idea).

-Ensure fuel is properly stabilized

-Test run engine long enough to get stabilizer through system. At idle: 30 minutes! In the water, under load: 10+ minutes.

-Test or inspect Thermostats. Verify proper cooling (including telltale stream)

-Inspect fuel lines, oil lines, belt and tensioner

-Replace water separating filter (inspect for water and debris)

-Replace spark plugs *** See note below if storing over 45 days.

-Grease all zerks on engine with 2-4-C Grease

-Grease balls on ends of trim rams (short trim rams)

-Remove propeller

-Change Gear Lubricant w/Mercury High Performance Gear Lube

-Grease Prop Shaft, and Retorque Prop Nut

-Retorque Engine Mounting Fastners, Jackplate Hardware, and Steering Hardware

-Check fluid level in Hydraulic Steering (if equipped)

-Replace water pump impeller and gaskets (at a minimum) *** See note below if storing over 45 days.

-Perform a careful visual inspection of the engine

-Drain water from speedometer and water pressure tubing (blow backwards through tubes to expel water)

-Treat/Protect livewells and pumps to prevent freezing damage

-Park boat with engine in the "full down position"

-Turn off, or disconnect batteries (unless you choose to charge them regularly).

IF ENGINE WILL SIT FOR MORE THAN 45 DAYS:

*Note: If putting the engine up for more than 45 days, it is a good idea to hold off on spark plug and water pump replacement until AFTER storage. Fogging of the engine is best accomplished by:

-Remove the spark plugs, and place approximately 1 teaspoon of Mercury or Quicksilver Premium Plus oil into each spark plug opening.

-Remove Lanyard Switch (disable engine ignition)

-Ground spark plug leads (with a spark tester, or with jumper wires... second precautionary measure to prevent ignition)

-Place an old towel across the back of the engine to reduce oil splashing.

-Spin the engine with the starter for 2-3 revolutions to distribute oil evenly.

-Reinstall spark plugs.

-Replace spark plugs and water pump impeller when the boat is "recommissioned"

TOXIC

Like Tox said,"will it be outside is the most important question"?

The only conflicting information I have heard is that by storing your motor in the "down" position, if you have trim/tilt, puts undue pressure on that system and leads to seal failure because in the down position it is actually pressurized. I would put it on the motor toter and wrap a plastic bag around the prop to keep the H2O out of it just to be safe.

TOXIC

Toxic, It's a 90 elpto and we'll be storing the boat inside a pole barn. I can't thank you enough and I'll print this list and give her a good going thru. It just gets so busy at the marinas up north after labor day that we would have to drop the boat off now and that means we'll be losing about a month of good fishing. Again, thanks !

Thanks for that list, I was about to ask this same question. I have a 90hp Merc on a 2001 750 NX DC

The only issue I have is that my boat will be sitting outside this winter. I'm going to make sure to keep the snow off of it by keeping it covered, and then a makeshift shelter for it. Is there anything else that I should do to make sure she makes it through the NH winter OK? This will be my first winter with the boat and I'm just getting familiar with it. I wantedd to get a carport, but with a little one on the way, I've got to think cheaper.

Thanks!

This maybe crazy but what I do for MA winters is wrap my lower end in pipe heater and plug her in. Wont let pipes freeze so I hope it works on my motor. Never had a problem so I guess it dosnt hurt and I sleep good at night. Also give a warm home to mice in the winter;)

never thought of the heat tape but sounds good . as for the mice and other critters go to pharmacy and get oil of peppermint , put 2 or 3 drops on a cotton ball and put one in each compartment . no mice no rats or cats or other varmits will invade.

Latest posts

Back