winterize

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick olivas

Reaction score
Heading to the lake for the last trip of the year. Any suggestion would be helpful. I use STABIL and Quickleen with every tank. Should I dis-connect fuel line and let the motor run until all gas runs out of the engine. should I try to use all the gas out of the tank? thanks for your help.

HUNTING SEASON.... MY WIFE HAS A SEPT, RIFLE ANTELOPE TAG,I HAVE AN ARCHERY RUT BULL TAG "in Arizona" a Muzzleloader deer tag, and trapping season is just around the corner. Been fishing hard since Febuary. TOXIC I would like to hear your 2 cents if you are out there!!!!! CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF THE OUTDOORS...

I do the stabil and seafoam trick, run it through and I drain the fuel out of the bowl or chamber on the motor. Works for me up here.

If your running stabilizer with every tank no need to let motor run dead. I would try and leave as little fuel in tank aspossible, so you don't have a bunch of old fuel for next season. I would also coat inside of cylinder walls with recommend oil or fogging oil. Change lower unit oil. That's about it.

Rick, Click on the "more" link at the top of the page. Then go to "grab bag" and click on maintenance. Alot of good information there. Chris F.

Jury is out on full vs empty tank. I fish through the winter and have never winterized my rigs. It also depends on how long it is going to sit. I would not run the motor dry. I would put the storage dosage of Stabil and Seafoam (or the Merc products)in the fuel and make sure it gets to the motor. Then I would fog the motor. Put on blocks if you can and make sure your LU has fresh oil with no water to freeze.

Done full and empty tanks with no problem either way. If you have an Optimax don't run the gas out. My 150 has a sleep mode that the service tech activates with a computer. Last year it just went into the barn and I had no problems. Didn't even remove the batteries but kept the on board charger plugged in. Made sure there was no "gangway" for mice to climb onboard. If you have cookie and sandwich crumbs in your carpet. Vermin WILL find a way onboard. This year I'll have them do bearins, sleep, and pull the codes if any.

fatrap

Thanks for the feedback. Motor is an OPTI-MAX 150. Where do you get the fogging oil and howe do you get it into the engine?? Chris I am going to browse the "more" link now. Have never ventured to that sight, thanks for the tips everybody. Boat will probably sit for next 5 months in garage w/ cover and blocks.

Rick,

Before the last trip, I double the Seafoam and use the storage amount of Marine Stabil. Also fill the fuel tank mostly full, but not all of the way. Per Bob B.

I don't think the Optimax gets fogging oil. My Pro XS gets an ounce of DFI oil squirted in each cyclinder, then I turn over the engine with a big ratchet and socket at the flywheel. I have an oil can filled DFI oil and counted how many squirts makes an ounce with a measuring cup. Yea, Iknow.....a little anal!

Don't forget the filters and lower unit fluid.

More info here.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/service-and-support/storage-and-maintenance/engines/outboards/

I treat the remaining gas in the tank with enough fuel preservative for a full tank. I then run the motor long enough so the motor is running treated fuel, and then I fill the tank. I think that's the best way to keep water out of the tank over the winter.

Latest posts

Back