Winding New Line

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max Durbin

Reaction score
Okay, I am kinda of new at this. What is the best way to figure out how new line is to go on your reel? Some say that is lable up off the spool or if it comes off clockwise and the reel turns clockwise that is the way it should go on or visa versa. Or is there a better way to figure this out?

Don't know if this is right or not but I load a bait caster with the line spool hanging on a nail thru the spool hole standing with the rod perpindicular to the nail. Hope that made sense. I load a spining reel with the line spool lying flat on the floor or on the above nail only standing with the rod perpindicular to the face of the line spool. Lot's of perpindiculars.

I use this slick spooling machine my in-laws got me, it's called the "Berkley Portable Line Spooling Station", its in the BPS web site for $22 under

http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=13313&hvarTarget=search

It's also available at most sporting goods and Walmart stores. They suggest putting the line on the opposite way it comes off the spool, so that it doesn't keep as much memory as it sat on the spool. I've done this for 2 years with no problems. I also LOVE The quick line stripper it has build into! Makes changing line quick and easy.

On spinning reels, I attach the line in the usual way with the spool laying label up on the floor. Then, I crank the handle ten or fifteen times, keeping the line under some tention with my fingers. I stop, drop the rod tip and watch what happens with the line. If it begins to kink up, I turn the spool over and crank for 30 to 40 times. Then I drop the tip again to see if I've removed the kinks and it's winding correctly.

After I get the reel spooled, I take of the spool and soak it in really hot water for about 30 seconds. That relaxes the line and removes any residual twist.

For baitcasters, I have someone hold the spool vertically on a big nail, or my Knot-Tier, while I crank the line on.

Latest posts

Back