Wind

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Harp

Reaction score
I don't know about where you live but the wind here in Oklahoma has been brutal all spring. I know it always windy here especially in spring but this year has been the worse I can remember. Morning and night straight out of the south or sometimes the east at 15 to 30 mph. Some times I just don't even bother to go to the lake and fight it. You can't control the boat well enough to properly fish a jig or even a fluke. It blows the boat into the dead trees alerting every bass of your presence plus sometimes those trees break off and konk you on the head if you hit 'em hard enough. The type of places I fish mostly don't allow a drift sock or wind anchor or whatever you call them. I'm flusterated!

Harpo

All that wind in OK is from the texans breaking wind...it all floats up you know. LOL

Too many beans and tex-mex food.

Maybe Rob can find you some "gas releif" Haaaaaa

Wolf

Riiight???

If someone is near Toxic's house would you mind going over and checking on him? Approach with caution.

Harpo

It has been brutal almost all year. Even the evening tourneys I fish weekly here in the Dallas area make your muscles ache afterwards from fighting your trolling motor in the wind (and I have a 107# motor). Even growing up in the OK panhandle (about the windiest place on earth), it drives me crazy.

Yeah, I've seen it but I don't remember what the chickopee, inna wiiiiind ment.

Harpo

So that's why I understood every word she was saying?

Harpo

I grew up understanding the wind in Iowa was bad because Nebraska blows and Illnois.......well you know.

fatrap

Sorry Tox

You guys better never come fish Champlain then! LOL That's what it does 3 out of 4 days. We use drift socks on the main lake and that's why you have at least 24v TM's to hold you in place in the rivers. You learn to use it to your advantage. The wind CAN be a plus when it's blowing baitfish into schools of toad smallies. I have a few spots that I need wind on to fish it right. And if that wind is right, you can bet I'm coming in with a sack of 4 lbers.

But again, you have to learn to fish it. If you wait for perfect weather, you'll only fish 1/4 of the time.

I knew one of you guys from Champlain or the Great Lakes would chime in with a "you ain't seen nothing yet", and you're right. The two biggest issues I have with the wind is trying to hold position in my little lightweight tin rig and manuevering in and around the standing timber. I have already torn up the Tracker decals on my boat banging into everything. I was reminded on the latest Denny Brauer show about dead trees falling across your boat. I had that happen one time. Fortunatly it wasn't a GREAT BIG tree from way up there but it was big enough that I had to use both arms to heave it off.

Rob, what kind of baits and tactics do you use when the Hawk is kicking you butt around the lake?

Harpo

The hawk? You mean wind?

Well it depends on how strong it is. If it's to where it's only whipping up 3 footers, then I can get around in those. Just take some time and keep the nose up. Once I get there, (wind blown points or off shore structure) I run past where I want to fish, throw out the drift sock to slow my drift and use the TM only to control the direction of the drift. Then I'll throw jerkbaits. The wind usually churns up bait and brings BIG smallies out from deeper water. They will come up for a jerkbait just under the surface. I will also throw a C-rig, but do it so that the wind is at my back so I can still feel the line and don't have the wind pushing a big bow in my line. I will often go up to 1 oz weights and only 10 or 12 lb test to keep it down.

Spinnerbaits will work well too, as long as you keep them below the swells.

If it's too bad, then I go up in the bays or rivers and fish tight structure with a jig or tube. I will be on my TM constantly to hold the boat steady. Don't fight the wind, figure what way it wants to blow the boat and either use that, OR run into the wind slightly so when you do get bit, if you take your foot off the TM, the wind blows you AWAY from the cover, not into it. You will be physically and mentally spent after a long day fishing in the wind. It takes a lot more effort and concentrated thought about what you're doing with the boat, but it can pay off big time.

It's really hard to explain, and much easier to show. Come on out anytime and I'm sure before a weekends out, the wind will blow and I can show you what I mean! That's life on the great lakes.

Yeah, The Hawk=wind. You ain't that much of a white boy are you? LOL

Thanks, I really hadn't thought about a C-rig on windy days. That would work good. I know to head into the wind with the TM unless you're wanting to drift with the wind. I sometimes do that and throw crankbaits.

Harpo

Yeah, they'll work too. Who you calling a white boy???

Come on Harpo...just brave the wind. I have only fished one tournament where it wasn't blowing..but it was colder.....

Easy for you to say, you've got a boat that sits down in the water like a boat instead of on top like a leaf.

Harpo

Glass vs tin. And tin makes our argument for us! Haaaa

Gotta say that day last year that they cancelled the Everstart on Champlain, was the most wind I have been out in. True 5 footers and that's no lie, LaMoist can back me up on that one!! Followed by the day that CIII and I were out on the Potomac. My rule of thumb is that I will get off the lake if it get's too bad, it's just not worth someone's safety (especially mine) to brave it out in bad conditions. Fishing is supposed to be fun.

TOXIC

Try 8 footers on the main lake Tox. They were breaking over the stone wall at the marina and the wind was blowing them clear past the gas dock. It took me 45 minutes to go 1.5 miles from the Pt Au Roche launch up to Mooney Bay only to find out it was cancelled.

And that was in the protected narrows where your camp was. Try broad lake or the inland sea! Unless you were running a USCG 45' cutter, you weren't running that day.

Word up people, if you are gonna fish big water learn how to run the rough stuff. You are going to encounter wind about 75% of the time. It is the nature of the beast, big open spaces with nothing to break the wind and the temprature variences between the water and air make for wind most of the time. Small impoundments get frothy also so do yourself a favor and learn how to navigate in wind and waves. Go out on a windy day not to fish but to learn rough water. If you need to, take someone out who knows how and have them show you. The smaller your rig the more important it is to know how to handle this type of water. You make a mistake in those conditions and you are in trouble!! Don't ever get scared on the water, respect it, but control it. If you are afraid, you have already gotten in trouble. Some of the best advice you will ever get!!

TOXIC

And learn to think on your feet, quickly. Had I not acted quickly when I speared that wave last year, I would have surely swamped my boat and had some major repairs. My rig is set up great with almost NO bow lift. That's great for hole shot, but NOT good for running rough water. Hence, my boat will spear a wave very easily if you're not paying attention. That's why a hot foot and trim on the wheel are invaluable for running in rough water. I can keep my eyes on the water. I often have to have a rider to watch where we're going and tell me when to turn, because I have to watch the water....EACH wave. Buzz has learned this. The few times I've really punched one or slammed the boat was because I was looking down at the graph or GPS for just a split second and took my eyes off the water long enough to not compensate for the next wave.

Anyway, put the time in, and do it when the water is warm, so if you DO have a mishap, you won't get hypothermia.

Word to yo momma Tox!

The wind has been awful here in SE Iowa. Two T's already this spring with winds 15-30 with gusts above that. Soon as the sun gets above the horizon, up comes the wind. Sure can mess up a pattern. I don't mind the driving, its the strain on the trolling motor leg.

Harpo-The 882 sits out of the water more than your tracker!

The skiff...well it sits low but still gets blown around some.

I get out of school thursday the 27th. You want to try to go fishing sometime in the next couple of weeks?

Latest posts

Back