wind speed

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHN TOWNSEND

Reaction score
for you tracker owners. at what wind speed do you feel unsafe fishing your alum rig.

For me, anytime white caps appear. Then again, I am a chicken when it comes to fishing bad water. Since I'm strictly a recreational fisherman, I'm off the water when the "recreation" part is no longer there.

I have a tv-18 and have had it out in 4+ footers. Not my preferred time to try to get to a calmers spot but handled it well. I do have a different hull than a 190 or 175 so that makes a difference too. The biggest problem I had was that it is so light doesn't actually cut the waves as much as floats higher making it a different set of concerns that the Nitro I had. If I fished that type of water a lot or on bigger waters more I would have stayed with the Nitro.

Randy!

Well step up fella's my 901 has run through 6-8' swells (not so smart) on Erie. Try that in an aluminum boat. I had a 17' tracker before I started fishing tournaments full time and I am with Randy 4 footers you will probably get wet anything more I would not play that game!

The Dragon

I'm with Jim C. on this one!

If I have to worry about getting out, or back in, it sort of takes lots of the fun out of it. Sometimes though the fishing gets good as the wind picks up, and you just have to know yours and your boats safe feeling limitations.

JT, from a quick look at your profile, I would say when you think it's time to get off the water go. Don't wait for later and see if you can make it, just go. In therory your boat is safe in the right hands in 3 foot waves, but can you do that. I know the first time I did in a smaller boat it scared the Sh** out of me. Even riding with legends like Woo Daves in a 929 the 4 to 6 footers still scare the crap out of me. It's better to learn with seat time and practice than to be fished out of the river.

Welcome Aboard

BF

I'm with Jim all the way. I have been in some very rough water with my tin rig but it got to be more like work than having fun. If I couldn't find a sheltered cove or something like that, I'm out of there!!

I was on Conowingo Lake one day (Bruce knows the lake AND the story) directly across the lake from the cove I had to get to. Three quarters of the way across every third wave was coming over us. My Super60 was spinning around at least three times and smallies were swimming inside the boat. My partner and I finally made it across but only because someone was watching out for us!:D

Ever since then I'm a lot more ScaredyCat then I used to be..:huh:

Uncle Billy

I've spent enough time at the great lakes too and I know if it looks rough..you better have more than a 21 footer!

Most times I don't chance it be aluminum or fiberglass. I have been in 7 to 9 footers in a 31 ft. rig that was designed to handle big water. A lot of tourny rigs have been sunk up there:huh:

Ahhhhhh, the old rough water conversation. The best tip is to know your personal and your equipment's limitations. If you are freaked out on the water, nothing but bad things are gonna happen no mater what boat you are in. My old addage is that I don't fear the water....... I respect it. We all pull some stupid stunts and go out when we have no business on the water but in a way, that is how you learn. I was on Champlain with 6 foot rollers and that was stupid. The upside was that I learned a lot:huh: (and didn't sink my boat!!). Seat time with excellent boat drivers is another plus. Anybody can "point and shoot" and it's amazing how much that is the attitudet of a lot of drivers (even some of the pro's :eek: )The years CIII and I have been going to Michigan (St. Clair), and riding with Mac, Mini and Neeley have been a real education. Watching Mini run the rough stuff is an experience. Steering corrections, throttle work, trim adjustment and just knowing how to enter and exit big waves are what these guys deal with all the time. It took me 3 days of pounding Neeley's roids out to get the "feel" for St. Clair....and that is another point....every body of water is different. Rough stuff on St. Clair is nothing like rough stuff on the Potomac and you can't drive them the same way. Watching Mini blast off WOT in 4 footers when I am "supposed" to be following him to the next spot, pushes you to your limit...cause he ain't slowin down unless he see's you capsized:lol::lol:

TOXIC

Easy answer for me...if its blowin that bad...I ain't goin! If the weather alert goes off while I am out, its "balls to the wall" to get back or find shelter. I would rather be safe than dead.

DRAGON:

Been to Erie, done that at a Fishers of men Tournament. Presque Isle. Coast Guard wouldn't let us on the main lake. I don't mind the waves, but I had to take into consideration my partner. He wouldn't say anything but I know him well enough to know that he wouldn't like it. Been through a lot with him, wouldn't jeopardize my friendship by doing something stupid.

mike

go with your gut feeling if you don't feel safe do'nt do it .

Dave

Agree...if it looks scary, it's probably not safe.

Got caught in a storm years ago on Douglas Lake in Tenn. in a 17ft. flat bottom Jon boat and I was beginning to think my wife and I were not gonna make it back. She was dang near in tears(i was too):eek:

Cmon Tox, you know I "waited" for you....lol

Good advice though. If you dont feel comfortable, dont do it. Panic is your worst enemy when you are in the rough stuff.

Mini

Tox,...Mini only drives like that when he's using MY boat,......ahahaahaahhhhahha.....he babies his!!:rolleyes:;)

HA!

I know I put more hours on my boat this year than you did on your past three!

You live closer to more lakes....but I think mines bigger!

I have a PT165 and I was fishing Lake umbagog on the deep side, in the morning the wind was around 10 mph by the end of the day the wind was pushing 30+ mph. The chop was around 3 to 4 feet and I had about a good six miles to get back to camp. everyone above is right don't panic, my passager was scared but I took my time trimmed the bow up and zig zag from wave to wave made it to camp with no issues. Had only one wave break bow , driver error but the funny thing was see screws on boat loosing up as my boat was getting pounded. When I got back to camp I re tighten about 10 loose screws. As everyone mentioned seat time makes the difference, don't get me wrong in a boat that only 15'10 long I do want to face 4 footers but I was in situation that I had two choose wait over night in the middle of no where or go back to camp.

X

if wind could be an issue, try to put in somewhere you are protected, and dont run into the middle of the lake or river, ive seen the potomac go from dead flat to 4 footers in 2 minutes, wind and tide going the different direction and you have a recipe for rough water.

mike c

Latest posts

Back