White Gel Coat

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Nelson

Reaction score
What is the easiest way to clean my White Gel Coat, on the underside of the hull it is starting to discolor from running in dirty water, i do wash of all the scum off after a trip but it still leaves the gel coat stained. Thanks for your help guys.

I use liquid comet cleaner with a soft sponge on hard area's. I have been using it for 3 year's with no damage on the paint.

For bad yellowing use a toilet bowl cleaner then use Bass Boat Saver after that and you will not have a scum line again that you cannot wipe off.

TOXIC

Thought I had bottom staining figured out this year. I use a ceramic coating on my boat. With all the claims of Nothing sticks to ceramic coatings or at least wipes off easily. Nope didn't happen. Spent six days on vacation on a lake with slightly stain water, you can see down 4 to 5 ft. After the fifth day I noticed discoloration on the side and bottom of my boat. I got in the water and wiped off what I could, but when I took my boat out of the water there was still a light staining. Had to do a full cleaning when I got home. Also know a boater that spent a big chunk of money to have his boat professionally ceramic coated and the bottom of his boat is badly stained. So anyone thinking to have a ceramic coating put on there boat to prevent staining you mite want to save your money. On the good side anything else does wipe off easy. Both boats are Fiberglass hulls. I get no staining or discoloration on day trips.

Thought I had bottom staining figured out this year. I use a ceramic coating on my boat. With all the claims of Nothing sticks to ceramic coatings or at least wipes off easily. Nope didn't happen. Spent six days on vacation on a lake with slightly stain water, you can see down 4 to 5 ft. After the fifth day I noticed discoloration on the side and bottom of my boat. I got in the water and wiped off what I could, but when I took my boat out of the water there was still a light staining. Had to do a full cleaning when I got home. Also know a boater that spent a big chunk of money to have his boat professionally ceramic coated and the bottom of his boat is badly stained. So anyone thinking to have a ceramic coating put on there boat to prevent staining you mite want to save your money. On the good side anything else does wipe off easy. Both boats are Fiberglass hulls. I get no staining or discoloration on day trips.
what is the ceramic coating you use?

I used Wizards Ceramic Coating. Spent 100 bucks and did it myself in a day. Works great for the entire boat. After each wash I use Rain X Graphene Exterior Detailer on the sides. Works great.

I used Wizards Ceramic Coating. Spent 100 bucks and did it myself in a day. Works great for the entire boat. After each wash I use Rain X Graphene Exterior Detailer on the sides. Works great.
Haven't heard of that one. Will check it out. Do you moor or dock you boat in stained water? Didn't think of adding Ceramic or Graphene booster between waxing. Haven't washed my boat during the season because I wipe it down after every use. Thanks for information.

Haven't heard of that one. Will check it out. Do you moor or dock you boat in stained water? Didn't think of adding Ceramic or Graphene booster between waxing. Haven't washed my boat during the season because I wipe it down after every use. Thanks for information.
Lake of the Ozarks right now. I've had the boat in the stained water 5 days at a covered dock. No problem getting it off when I wash it in 2 more days.

What is the easiest way to clean my White Gel Coat, on the underside of the hull it is starting to discolor from running in dirty water, i do wash of all the scum off after a trip but it still leaves the gel coat stained. Thanks for your help guys.
I get a pretty good lake scrum stain on my boat after 3 months each Summer in the water on Bull Shoals Lake. I’ve tried everything & nothing worked, but finally used diluted muriatic acid (5 parts water to 1 part acid) & it works great. Just spray it on & let it sit for a few minutes & spray it off with water. On tough stains spray it on again & rinse with water. Be sure to donn your PPE, gloves & eye protection. I then wash & wax the boat & we’re good to go!

Use to moor my older boat and had to deal four months of hull staining. Used over the counter product called On Off that works, but use safety protection. Also be careful on galvanized trailers.

Latest posts

Back