Which Reel?

• Thread starter Paul P [URL]http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The BPS one seems to have a more convenient braking system which is a combination of centrifugal and magnetic where the magnetic is adjustable with a knob. The Citica only has centrifugal and you have to open it up to adjust the pins if necessary although that would not be very frequent.

Your thoughts are much appreciated. I need to pull the trigger and buy this weekend.

Thanks

Paul

Paul,

The Citica replaced the old Curado and it has both an internal centrifugal brake system which you have to take off the side plate to adjust and a magnetic brake right under the handle. If you zoom the photo you can see it. I just was looking at the deal they have going. A Citica reel and your choice of XPS rods for $139. Savings of around $30. I would get the Shimano any day of the week.

NoCAL

I use Shimano and BPS reels and like both but would go with the Shimano. IMHO they are the best value in reels.

Hi NoCal

How's the 188 Sport these days?! I'm still enjoying mine but dream of the day I can rationalize a pure bassboat.

On the Citica, I believe the knob you are referring to is just the "tension" setting which you adjust to the weight of the lure and is not a magnetic drag. I could be wrong.

Paul

Still going good. How 'bout yours? I also have been dreaming of a new 591 or 188VS. Not gonna happen though! You may be right on the reel. I really just prefer Shimano products. Have nothing bad to say about Bass Pro reels though.

NoCAL

Try this...tighten the drag on both reels as tight as you can then hold the spool with your thumb and try to crank the reel. The Shimmano will hold tight while the BPS reel will slip. Go with the Shimmano.

Harpo

Paul, I bought the Shimano combo last weekend. I was considering the Pfleuger combo but went with the shimano instead based on recommendations from members of this board and the staff of BPS.

Looks like its a pretty clear recommendation. I'm going to order the Citica combo this weekend. Thanks for all the info!

Paul

btw ... I picked up a Shimano Citica/BPS Extreme

Latest posts

Back