Which motor would you suggest for Tracker Targa V165 wt

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grunt32

Reaction score
Bought a used and abused Tracker Targa V165 wt for my next project
With no motor or trailer
Just found a Targa 18 trailer that needs to be shortened
Started looking for a motor...saw in the original specs that you can put up to a 90hp on it
Thinking about a 60 hp 4 stroke as it is about a 100 lbs. lighter than a 90hp 4 stroke
Just need a motor to get the boat on plane fairly quickly with 2 guys fishing and go around 30mph

Attachments

• Photo0234.jpg
    Photo0234.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 30
Our boats are quite similar. The standard motor is a 60 hp Merc. Before I purchased my boat I went fishing with a friend who had a PGV175 with a 90hp hanging on the back, I was very impressed. When I decided on my boat which is a foot shorter and approx 10" narrower I wanted the Merc 75hp, even though my boat is rated for a 90. The motor is propped with a 15p 3 blade. With 2 grown men,full of fuel, and all our gear it will do 35-36mph GPS indicated @WOT. The 60 will not get close to that. My Hole Shot is like RIGHT NOW! The 75 pushes me along with little effort and the fuel consumption is fantastic(fish all day on like 5-6 gallons). Also the 75 has a bigger charging system. The 75 is set up for those who want to perform their own maintenance, everything is right out in the open. If your looking at other brands, don't overlook the Suzuki 75, which is a bit lighter, but is gaining a reputation as being very reliable. In other words go with the 75hp as you will not be happy with the 60 in my opinion.

Thanx for your reply...I appreciate your input
I also read that Mercury updated them in 2014 to a 4 cylinder with fuel injection
Not as loud and they should idle better
I'll start looking for a good used 75 hp 4 stroke 2014 or newer
I also need the controls and cables

I would look at Merc dealers for the motor. 2015 and up 2.1 L . A dealer would be able to read the ECM and give you a idea on the hours and how hard the motor run in a print out. If you come across a good deal on a 90 2.1 at a dealer I would consider it. Buying from a private seller, (who we all know are completely honest) could have unforeseen issues. You should be able to find used rigging in decent shape off of E-Bay or Craig's List. BTW The 75,90 and 115 are the same motor with the same 2.1 displacement and same gear case and ratio.

I bought a used 2004 Targa deep v 16 with 60hp Merc OB. 4 guys in the boat and I couldn't get it on plane. I repowered with a 90hp Optimax in 2006. At the time, that was the max hp for this boat. I'd say I'm quite pleased with the overall performance.

Bought a used and abused Tracker Targa V165 wt for my next project
With no motor or trailer
Just found a Targa 18 trailer that needs to be shortened
Started looking for a motor...saw in the original specs that you can put up to a 90hp on it
Thinking about a 60 hp 4 stroke as it is about a 100 lbs. lighter than a 90hp 4 stroke
Just need a motor to get the boat on plane fairly quickly with 2 guys fishing and go around 30mph
I have a 2001 tracker targa 17 combo wt with a 75 hp 2 stroke that I've owned for 15 years. With 2 people I can do 33 mph,takes about 5 seconds to get on plane. By myself I've hit 40 on smooth water. Never had any trouble with boat or motor,it's a great boat you can walk all over on it

I just sold my 2005 Crestliner 1650 looks very much like the your Tracker. I had a 2006 Mercury 75hp four stroke EFI. It would do 39 mph gps with one person and loaded with gear. 35 mph gps with two people on a quiet lake day. Great motor, never had a problem with it the whole time I had it. But I do keep up on yearly oil, filter changes. With fuel filters and spark plugs every two years. Quiet with great miles per gallon. It was built on the same platform as the 90 and 115 hp four strokes. Pretty much over built for the 75 hp, but that meant it would last longer under less stress. Adding information. My 75 hp Mercury weights just under 400 lbs. one reason I went with a little bigger motor I live in the Fingers Lakes region of New York. Some of the lakes are over 30 miles long. So I wanted the extra speed to get around.

Attachments

• 2012-06-01 030.JPG
    2012-06-01 030.JPG
    331.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 2012-06-01 005.JPG
    2012-06-01 005.JPG
    386.4 KB · Views: 29
Thanx for all of the replies
Sounds like a 75hp 4 stroke would work well for my boat

Just picked up a real nice 2008 Mercury 75hp 4 stroke EFI with controls, cables and keyed switch for my Tracker project boat. Serviced and gone through by the local Mercury dealer
Lucky to find it in these times nowadays

Attachments

• s-l200.jpg
    s-l200.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back