Which battery to hook to

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric nichols

Reaction score
Warm weather this weekend, so I'm going to start installing Bluewater LED's....I'm using separate switches for deck lights, and live well/compartment lights.....I'm going to add an inline fuse to each connection going to the battery.....my question is, which battery is best to connect to, cranking or starting....if I'm way off, feel free to correct me, or add something I may have missed.

Thanks,

Eric

My suggestion to avoid a nest of wires in the back, try to get into the fuse block and run from an empty slot, one fuse for the lights. You'll have to do some research/math to get the right fuse size. This will also run the power from your starting battery, which is recharged from your motor. The battery for your trolling motor shouldn't have anything else on it.

Cranking and starting are the same I think you meant trolling. Reading your post you are installing LED lights so they probably have a low amp draw. Do you ave anything else running off the starting battery? Such as fish finders, gps, radio's, bilge pump, livewell pumps, etc? If you do i would connect to one of the trolling motor batteries. If not I would connect to the starting battery. If you fish a lot of tournaments you have to be careful not to run your starting battery down to the point it will not start you engine. I carry a set of jumper cables just for this reason. Early limit with two gps units and two livewells running = dead battery.

Yes, Leadpan, trolling battery was what I meant to type....run all the normal stuff, GPS, pumps, charger, etc.....I was thinking of going the fuse block route.....can I run both switches from one fuse slot, or should I run each switch independently? Thanks to you both for your input.

Eric

You might think about installing one of the dimmer controls from Bluewater. I added one and love it. Lights are just too bright at full voltage.

I am not sure how many amps those lights pull. So you will need to make sure your fuses and wiring can handle the amperage of the lights and one fuse should be fine.

Thanks, guys, I appreciate the input....now I know where to begin.

Eric

When I stored the boat for winter I took out both batteries trollong and main. Thinking I would remember which wires went to which battery, Duh. I forgot and did not label them. I think I remember a cross over from main to trolling for cahrging purpose. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks

Mke

Latest posts

Back