Where is the ideal spot to install battery charger on a Nitro 170DC

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jorge Camacho

Reaction score
Hi folks, I had just bought my Nitro boat after a long life with a Bass Tracker, the boat is a 1995 170DC Rick Clunn edition and it is in pristine condition. It has dual console and is propelled by a 1994 mercury Force 120 ponies. I have just bought a minn Kota MK2100 two bank battery charger for the 24 volt 70 lbs thrust trolling it has and I was wondering if you may help me identify the ideal or most common spot where to install it?

I am a little hesitant about the battery compartment just because of the back flush I usually get when decreasing boat speed. However, I'd like to hear from you as to where can I install this two bank on board battery charger. I appreciate your advice. Great fishin' to you all. JC:D:D

Congratulations on your purchase!

I have a 96 model just loike yours and am extremely satisfied with it.

I have a single bank tha was mounted on the right side on the wall up hi by the starting batery.

I have had no problen with back flush getting in to the compartment.

So far the transome well has caught all the back flush and the battery/fuel compartment stays dry.

Good luck to you!!!!!!

J D

I have the same boat and mounted the charger flat next to the trolling motor batteries.

So you think I will be OK if I install it flush with the batteries? I have had one of the batteries' box half full of water because of the back flush if I am not careful when reducing my boat speed and I am afraid I might submerge the charger. Your thoughts ?

J D , Did you installed the charger on the angled side of the wall or did you installed it on the vertical wall coming from the bottom ? I am afraid of perforating thru too deep, also, what kind of fasteners did you use? Bolts or screws? Thanks for your advice. Good fishing!

It was on the boat when I got it and installed as hi up on the angle side as they could get it with a thru the hull socket on the outsdide so you would not have to raise the deck lid to get to it.

It will go on either side depends on if you want to run one or two sets of wires over and across the fuel tank!

God luck!

If I can help you on anything else let me know!!!

J D, that's what I thought, however I need to know if yours is fastened with regular screws or if it's bolted in with larger bolts? If bolts were used, how did they secure then to the angled wall? Are there drilled holes? Please let me know. Thanks a bunch for the advise. This boat is really fun to use!

They were mounted with regular screws. However they used regular instead of stainless.

J D

Jorge,

I mounted mine flush with the batteries using stainless steel self tapping screws and it has never moved. It's not a huge deal if it gets wet., They are waterproof.

Thanks Justin, I have an open spot next to the crancking battery but I feel I do have a lot of water coming in fro

The transom backflush. However I think I will mount is there on top of plastic posts or some kind of high base just in case.

Thank you all for the great feedback and ideas, good fishing

Latest posts

Back