Where do you have the T/M foot control?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry Loos

Reaction score
Yesterday, while solving some of the world's problems with some folks, we got into a debate about, "should a trolling motor pedal be stationary on the deck or movable to be positioned as the angler wishes." (Come on spring) What do you folks prefer?

Bear

I leave mine loose.

I think the ideal is held stationary by non-permanent means. I've seen some good solutions using small, thin bungy cords, but I have never bothered to try it.

I prefer mine mobile. I am frequently moving the pedal throughout a day's fishing.

Rich D

Would rather have it secured to the deck when running in rough water. Seen unsecured pedals do mucho damage!

I prefer to have mine mounted. I find it a little easier to do subtle steering changes with the foot control secured to the deck. I don't think one way is better than another, but rather that its what you find most comfortable.

Mark

I use to run mine loose on my old boat that I set up

myself. When I bought my current boat,it was already

screwed down, centered,foreward. Very quickly becomes

second nature to operate left or right footed. It's

good to automatically know where it's at in rough seas

or darkness. I guess both have advantages, but I like

mine pegged down.(JMO)

Bill Smith

I solved this problen By taking a Small Automotive Floor Mat (Carpeted on top and Slide Free/ Grippers On Bottom. Using Screws and small washers I attached the small mat to the Foot Pedal. The foot pedal can be placed anywhere and does not slide. You can even trim the mat to fit the exact shape of your pedal. Look At the bottom of your vehicle floor mats and see what I mean. Small mats can be purchased individually at Wal Mart, etc, but look for the one that will slide the least.

i have mine stationary but i would really like to have it recessed i think some manufactures are doing that now. the main thing is comfort. stan

Bass Cat's is fixed and recessed and it's just great! Easy to stay balanced and doesn't put any extra pressure on your knees, legs or feet. Also easy to switch off feet depending on which side of the boat you happen to be using at the time. All boats should be doing that in the future! (Unless Bass Cat has that design patented?)

Tom

On my 882 it's recessed and of course in a fixed centered location. Easy to get used to using right or left foot.

Russ

On my 901 it is recessed also, but on my 190DC and 896 Savage, it was not, also my TV17 was not, on the TV I left it loose, moved it side to side, no trouble, when I got my 190, when running the rough water of our resevoires here in South Dakokta, it moves around way to much. Broke some rods, broke a switch on the pedal, so I screwed it down on that one and every one since, dont even notice after a while. It is nice when fight 3-5 foot waves here to know where it si hiding at any given time.

Maybe if you like the idea of moving it around the

deck,install a couple rodsaver straps to hold it down

by the base plate in the centered position. From there

it could operated or secured for running or quickly

released to use wherever you like.Would work great with

motorguide pedal!

B.S.

Ditto on Cliff's comment,....prior to my 901 I left it loose, but had a rodsaver strap to hold it down during running.,...but the recess and the secured pedal now is much easier,..no more tripping over it and broken equipment/switches/rod tips etc. I'll never leave it loose again.

Man, I fish on Champlain! I screw, glue, tape, and tatoo that bad boy to the deck! If not, I'd be buying new gear after every run!

I too have seen rods damaged by the pedal bouncing around on the front deck. I have mine positioned slightly to the right of center and afixxed to the deck with one screw in the upper left corner. This still allows me some slight movement of the pedal for various angles, but also stops it from bouncing around while running.

Also while running and or trailering MG recomends that the front of the pedal is downward while the TM is stowed to prevent rain and debris from getting up into the electronics under the pedal. For what its worth.

Under side of the pedal has a sheet of aluminum attached with bolts and nuts (squash nuts are on top and flat head screws are on the bottom, stainless) then attached to that is a sheet of Industrial grade "hook and loop", the hook part...this is not you regular sewing store velcro...When that is pressed down into the carpet it takes a small boy and a good sized man working together to pull it loose...I usually use a large flat blade screw driver to get it started...It has never popped loose when running in anything...(newton's law about momentum I guess) But it is moveable and removable...

I've left mine free and movable. I find (maybe 'cause my 175 only does 30) that it doesn't move or bounce when running. I like being able to move it around based on how low/high i've got the powerpedestal. I'm actualy thinking about making a removable base for the TM since I use the boat 1/2 time in the summer for cruising and tubing, that way no one trips over the motor/pedal/cord getting into/out of the boat or walking around the front deck (when i've taken the seat out).

Latest posts

Back