When to get a guide?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
Gang - Beka got me a 5 hour guided fishing trip on Lanier for the holidays! Now the tough questions - If you were going to be able to have 1 guided trip this year, what time of year would you go? I'm thinking here in GA late March for prespawn action and tips. But then i'm thinking mid summer is always the toughest so would getting the guide to show me tips on how to fish when it's tough a better use?

Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful! Yes I want to catch a lot of big fish that day, but more important I want to learn things that will help ME catch fish another day.

TrepMan

Trep, I think you just answered your own question. As a beggining guide myself, one of the things I'm advertising is my ability to teach new methods. So, if you feel there is a weak spot in your fishing abilities, or a new techique you'd like to learn then get hooked up with a guide at the time of year that he feels would be best to teach you those new methods.

Personally, I think you'll get more bang for your buck by getting some instructions, rather than finding a new spot or two or just putting fish in the boat. With a newly accuired skill, you'll be able to use that forever.

Yo Trepman,

I'm also thinking about getting into guiding( mostly because i have a lot of people ask for the service anyway so why not get paid to do it)and I have done a little bit already and I agree with Jon. If you have a weak spot that you would like help with then you should try to plan a trip around the time of this weakness. If you want to catch a lot of fish then you should talk with the guide or service that you intend to use and discuss this matter with them. This will not only get you some good advice, but also give you a good feel as to whom you will be fishing with and what you could actually learn from them. Sorry so long just my .02 worth!

Tim

Oh boy! Trep, you are taking the right approach. One of the most frustrating things as a guide, is someone booking you then showing up and not listening. They already know it all. Well then WHY hire me! Then after a day of nothing they want their money back after you've caught 50-60 fish right in front of them. Your taking the right approach. If you want to learn something new, go in the summer, if you want a troph, March definately!

Tim and Jon, be sure you do your homework. Being a guide is not all it's cracked up to be. Don't get me wrong, it's my passion, and I wouldn't trade it for any job in the world, but it IS work. Your boat will get beat up by clients, you HAVE to fish on days you'd rather stay in bed, and it takes at least a couple years, and a good chunk of change to get established. If you're willing to take the good and the bad, in 4-5 years, it will begin to pay big. I just got a call yesterday from one of the field editors of NY game & fish. He wants to book a trip to get an edge for the FLW as a co-anlger, and he has also heard about my service and wants to do a 4 page spread on it! This is exciting. If he wins, he'll give credit from stage, unlike the last guy! So I get paid and free advertising, plus I'll be the ESPN press boat for the FLW. It took 6 LONG years to see this. My first year I had only 2 booked trips. I wrote off 6k in expenses! Make sure your wives are on board with this decision, because you should have seen the look on my wife's face when we did taxes that year! Ouch! But it can pay off if you stick it out. To me, my crowning achievement is being able to co-host all of your with Pierre for the the rally! Sorry to take so long, but if you want more info, just e-mail me. I know how hard it was getting started. None of the other guides wanted to offer any info, they look at you as competition. Just my opinion!

Rob

Rob,

Thanks for the advice. I have been toying with this for about three years now and i just can't seem to give up a good job with paid benefits to just jump right in on my own! On the other hand I don't want to go at half hearted! So I guess you can see my delimma! My wife is tired of discussing it and just wishes I would go ahead and do it part time to see if I would like it or could even make it. The good thing about my job is I would have the time to do it part time until I could get established.

Sorry so long, but like I said Thanks Rob.

Tim

Tim,

I'm still part time. In the north, you can't guide this time of year. For me to go full time, I will have to set up south for the winters and go back and forth. Have seriously considered it for the last year. I guide 3-4 days a week during prime time. Try it out and see if it fits. Get licensed and find an outfitter that will subcontract to you. Saves you on advertising and you can slowly make the progression. Going full time is a big SCARY step!

Thanks everyone for your advise. Talked with Beka at lunch today about everything you guys input and her answer was "you don't catch that many anyway, so why not do both! Go mid-spawn so you might catch a big one yet to spawn and also you'll learn about lures, tactics and locations"

Gotta love a woman who thinks! I think that means i'll be looking late March to early april, just gotta check the calender and call the guide!

Thanks again!

Just got of the phone with Mac Farr, my guide for this trip, booked on Thursday March 28th! He said the fish should be stagging and we'll cover area's i'm terrible at (like docks and brush piles), can't WAIT!!!

I think i've almost got Beka convinced to go too, it's a trip for 2, since my parents will be in town that week! Now that would be a heck of a present!

Latest posts

Back