When Does Fall Become Winter?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Harp

Reaction score
Here in Okla we are enjoying an extreamly warm and long fall season. In fact my grass is still somewhat green and needs one more mowing. Night time temperatures are in the 40's and low 50's and daytime temps in the 60's and 70's. Went fishing Sunday and the water temp was 59 to 61.

With that said, when should one change from fall pattern fishing such as larger faster baits, like spinnerbaits and crankbaits and topwater to smaller,slower, deeper winter pattern baits like jigs?

Harpo

Move/change to the season, not the weather.....water and air temp are only one aspect with weather....hours of daylight and lunar cycles as well as a lot more tell Mr. Bucketmouth what time of year it is....ever notice that the trees will drop their leaves no matter how warm it stays.....same thing.

TOXIC

The fish will let you know... Just talk to em. But never wait to use a jig until winter cuz your missing out.

I think from the weather reports here in Oklahoma fall becomes winter on Sunday. High Saturday of 75-80 and 35-40 on Sunday isnt this state great.

When the first snow flies...oh yea here in michigan that was october 1st...lol

T.S.

Thanks for the response,all. But I have to ask again, when should one start thinking about fishing a winter pattern? Fish are cold blooded animals and thus respond to the temperature of their surrounding. Heck, even some of the trees around here are still green while many others have turned autum colors and dropped their leaves. But anyway, should I be fishing a winter pattern because it's late November or a fall pattern because the water temp is 60 degrees? I'll have to say that the one bass I did catch Sunday was a 41/2 lber on twin-tail hula skirt grub and it came up like a dead catfish.

Harpo

Latest posts

Back