Whel bearings

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lamar Gilbert

Reaction score
Lost one bearing on my THREE YEAR OLD PT185 trailer. Called my dealer......had them in stock....shipped the same day. Pulled one wheel off and started to replace bearings.....surprise......one was the right size and the other and seal too small. Called the dealer and advised what had happened. They advised that things were "hectic" today and they did not have time to research the problem right then. Five hours later, I called them back and got the same response.......but they would have their parts man call me when he had time. Decided to just research it myself.....called Tracker Parts and explained the problem. The guy insisted that the dealer had supplied the right kit. He asked for the serial number on the trailer which I gave him. After running the serial number through his computer, he advised that my trailer could not possibly have two different size bearings and had the nerve to ask if I was the original purchaser of the boat after I had just told him I bought it new three years ago.

Took the old bearings and seal numbers....went by NAPA and have a new set ready to put tomorrow.

IT's no wonder to me that Tracker gets so much bad press. This is the first experience I have had getting parts and I certainly don't look forward to having to do it in the future.

Now other than that......I couldn't be more pleased with my PT185.....average launching it 250 times a year in our six month fishing season and have averaged over 1000 bass a year for the last three years. JUst wish the water would thaw so I can go fishing!!

I went to BPS the other day to get a 50 amp circuit breaker for the TM. I go to the parts window and wait for somebody to wait on me...and I wait...and I wait...and I ring the little bell...and I wait... and I yell, Hey, Lonnie!!"...and I wait...and I go looking around the service dept... and I go looking around the boat sales dept and one of the salesmen tell me that Lonnie is off and so they page Mike... he'll be there in a minute...so I go back to the parts window and I wait...only now there's another guy standing there waiting in front of me...so we both wait...and we wait...and we wait...and then the other guy goes walking around the service area looking for someone...then he comes back without finding anybody...and we wait...and we wait...then the other guy picks up the phone and calls the operator and she pages Mike to the parts window...and we wait...and we wait...then Mike shows up and the other guy tells him that Lonnie called him and told him his part was in and he wanted to pick it up...but Mike tells him that only Lonnie has access to the computer and he can't get his part for him...and I'm thinking WHAT!?!? Mike is the General Manager of the whole dang boat department...but I keep my mouth shut cause it ain't my fight...so the guy leaves...and I step up and Mike gets my circuit breaker...and I start to write a check and he says "IF YOU WRITE A CHECK I'M GOING TO HAVE TO DO ALLLLL THIS PAPERWORK OVER AGAIN...so I say how 'bout a credit card?... and he said that was OK...and then I have to go stand in another long line to pay for the widget I bought cause I can't pay for it at the parts counter because it's a differant dept...I LOVE BASS PRO SHOP

Harpo

Lamar,

I bought 2 boats from them. They have been both hit and miss for me. Last summer I upgraded my steering to NFB and wanted to replace the cables. I called them to get a number and they took the information and said they would call me back. This happened twice and i never did get the part number from them, i called Dover Marine in NH.

Now on the flip side of the coin, currently I'm having a serious mechanical issue with my motor. I am deploying overseas at the beginning of June, and with ice-out currently occuring, would give me less than a month to fish until next year(2-3 week shop waiting line). I asked if there was any way to get the boat in and have it back by 1 May for my only club tourney and my trip to SML in Va. He told me to bring the boat by on Sat and would try to get it into the rotation. The boat is currently awaiting a water test after they replaced the low speed stator and did a link and sync.

Anyway, I'm not defending them nor bashing them, just showing the other side of the coin.....and there is never an excuse for not returning a phone call as promised.

Tight Lines,

MeBassn

Always and I mean ALWAYS take your bearings and seals with you so you get the right ones. And I always go to the car parts store for both:)

You can't really fault the parts guys for this. They build thousands of trailers, and they ship the same replacement items (such as bearings) all the time. Let's remember, that consumers are notorius for telling the parts guys anything, to get their problem solved.

Think of it this way, if you were on the other end of the line, wouldn't you believe that you were providing the correct part, called for by the design and manufacturing specifications?

Tex

Lamar, MeBassn.

if you to have the chance to visit Dover Marine, i would recomend it. they are top notch in every aspect.

i know it would be good ride for both of you, but they have kept every promise made and have never heard anybody complain about them. i would recomend them to anyone.

GregD

GregD.....where is Dover Marine located? Will note them for future reference.

TexasT.....I would agree with you except for the fact that when I called Tracker's parts direct....he insisted that they did not ship PT185s with tapered axels and that there was no way I could have one.....that's after looking my trailer up by serial number. I'm not mad at these people.....just VERY disappointed at them. When I finally got to talk to the parts guy at my dealership.....he knew exactly what I was dealing with and supposedly shipped the right ones yesterday.......time will tell.
http://

I guess I should consider myself lucky. We have a local trailer place called "Portsmouth Trailer". They have had everything I've ever wanted for boat trailers. And they are very knowledgable. Sorry you had so many problems. You probally have a "1750" axle on that trailer. I know this doesn't fix your current problems with the dealership, but just wanted to recommend to EVERYONE:

Find out what bearings / seals / hubs / washers / nuts / cotter pins you have on your trailer, and order at least two new sets. Pack the bearings, insert them in the hubs, put the rear seal on, wrap them up neatly in something (I have them in a box, wrapped with a towel inside, in my truck bed toolbox), and keep them in your vehicle on any trip further than a few miles from your house. Cost me less than $100 for peace of mind. Never had to use them myself, but I did loan them to a buddy of mine in Florida when he burnt up both sides over 200 miles from home. Luckily, he stopped before anything siezed, although I was also glad to have a rubber mallet in my truck to take off his passenger side hub. Saved him a lot of time and money that day, and now he carries a spare set as well.

P-A-T-929

Latest posts

Back