What's The Deal With The Catfish?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Easterling

Reaction score
Last week I was fishing my favorite small lake and caught a 6#'er and a 5#'er, the 6 was nice, it was a bass, the 5 was a catfish. Glad to have the 6 cause it's only the third of it's size this year. Caught them both on a 7.5 red shad worm. This week, and I'm throwing everything to catch a fish, caught another catfish on spinner bait. Both were healthy fish, good and fat. I have caught less than ten catfish in twenty years using bass bait and I get two almost back to back. Maybe some of you fish psychologist can shed a little light on what's up with the catfish.

I have caught two channel catfish this year on buzzbaits and many on crankbaits.

Fishing the Potomac last year, I had a backlash from casting into the wind. While working that out, the crankbait was floating about 30 feet away. Just as I finished with the birds nest, a 2 lb channel cat hit the crank like a surface lure. Then, 2 months ago I had a 3 lb channel leave the water when he hit a crank as it landed. Might not count in your tourneys, but they are fun!:D

It must be in the water, my partner and I have caught 3 catfish in the last two trips and both on spinnerbaits.

Most people don't understand that after a cat hits around 2 lbs, live fish is their primary food. So, catching them with artificials should not be such a surprise.

Latest posts

Back