What's the best flippin line in 17 to 20 lb. test?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Gross

Reaction score
What's a good line to use ? I had to do a lot of flippin last weekend .I used a 20lb. Berkely Sensation but after about 4 hours I got a tangle that I could not get out. The cover was heavy. Is a braided line better for this method of fishing ?

I use to use Stren Sensor which is like sensation

The problem i had was the line woud get a weak spot or "crimped" in the reel and break.

Denny brauer says he uses stren original.

He spoke at Michigan Massmaster Univerity

That what her suggested and I saw his reels that is whar he had spooled up. It is prety tough line without the memory

I experimented with a few lines also

but after hearing him i switch over now the only problem i have is operator error

You have to be careful to cast out your line every so often during the day to get rid of the loose line that has a tedency to build up when flippin and pitchi

I use Power pro and love it....no memory, and strong.....boy it'll pull thge dock to the boat...trust me I've done it.

Pierre

I use 20 lb Fireline. Never a problem and it's tough as nails. In ultra clear water, I use a 17 lb mono, clear, leader. Berkley XT.

I like my 17 lb moss green P-Line. I do have one reel spooled with 17 lb stren sensor but prefer the 17 lb trilene extra limp. Not as sensitive but lets a jig fall naturally.

OK here's where I do my usual rave for Power Pro. I love the stuff. In fact I'm thinking about carpeting my house with it. LOL Seriously, I use the 30# and can not find fault with it. If you're like me you'll appreciate the positive hooksets, the sensitivity, and when you get hung up you either straighten the hook or pull up the whole tree stump.

Harpo

Ok, I have kept quiet but I have a couple of problems with PowerPro. Worst problem is that it does not perform well in the wind. Remember, it is made by a cloth/linnen manufacturer and it has some of the same characteristics of a bed sheet. I use it mainly on tubes and rocky terrain because you can usually straighten the hook on a snag. Problem #2..visibility. In clear water, I can see the line practicly all the way to the bottom. You don't think the fish can't?? I'm not one of those who imparts a lot of intellegence on Mr. Bass but they can be line shy and PowerPro is very visable. Otherwise I like it.

TOXIC

I use Stren Super Tought in 17 or 20 lbs. It is the most abrasive resistent line that I know. I can drag my jigs on rocks and concrete bottom all day and it is still stong.

Marc L

I'm suprised nobody has mentioned Berkley Big Game. I've been using Big Game 15 and 20 for years now. The stuff is tough as nails and handles very well. Got to agree with Toxics' evaluation of braid line also. It does work wonders in dense weeds though. Cuts through the greenery like a hot knife through butter.

Silver Thread Excaliber is my favorite as it is a very limp line without a lot of memory. The super silver thread has a very small diameter for the lb test. Both are good lines and they are a copolymer type. I agree with Toxic on the wind thing, especially when you go to pitching. Mono is good enough for Denny Brauer and he makes some good points about the dis-advantages of the braided lines (as well as the advantages) in his jig fishing book.

jd

Harpo steps up to the soapbox and says, " I get the same wind wrap problems with mono that I do with Power Pro. That same limpness is what keeps it from springing all up around the spool like mono. It never has the problem of snaping in two for no reason like the other discussion regarding Ironsilk going on in another thread. The same discussion that has gone around about Spiderwire Supermono XXX and McCoy Mean Green. True it is more visable than mono but consider this. Is 30# Power Pro that is the same diameter as 12# mono more visable than 20# mono? Perhaps in gin clear water where 8# would spook the fish but not in the timber infested tomato soup I fish in most of the time. Plus I need the extra sensitivity to detect strikes on jigs and worms and I don't want to take up a couple feet of stretch to set the hook. And in closing you just put Denny Brauer in MY boat and I'll teach him a thing or two."

Harpo steps away from the podium and walks into the dining room to set the hook on a barbeque sandwich. Thank you for your attendence.

Harpo,

I'm not talking about "wind wrap", I refer to the line getting pushed by the wind AFTER the cast. It's in the water and the wind will bow it and pull my tube right back to the boat. I use the 20lb test with the 6lb diameter. I have used it in Champlain with pretty good luck but it's visibilty in the water is much, much more than mono. I still use it but would prefer stained/darker water. It's saved me a few baits from the toothy critters also.

Enjoy your sandwich.......

TOXIC

My best flippin line is, "What's a nice girl like you doin in a place like this..." Seems to work about every hundredth time...

Unfortunatly, my fovorite line is no longer on the market as I have purchased it in the past. Wal Mart marketed a line made by Shakespere called USA1, in 17 lb test it is the most abbrassive resistant line I have ever used and still handle well on a baitcaster. I and the president of my bass club, both use this line, and neither one of us has lost a fish on it and our home lake has many bass over 7 lbs. This line will pop a guide of your rod before it breaks, I know, it has happened twice to me. I contacted Shakespere and I was told that USA1 line is the same as their Sigma line, WalMart just wanted their own packaging.

Latest posts

Back