What? You Mean I Didn't Mess Something Up?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Snider

Reaction score
Yep. You read it right... I went out yesterday and didn't mess ANYTHING up on the boat at all! That's probably one of the first times that's ever happened... Also, I finally "learned" my engine (you may remember my starting problems in the middle of the lake). What's the secret? Hold the choke in for approximately 10-15 seconds (instead of the recommended 5 seconds) before starting. Guess what? It starts the first or second time (even after sitting for 2 weeks)... I always thought I was flooding the engine, but it looks like I wasn't choking her enough. Strange. Oh yeah, Scott... I trimmed the engine all the way in and she shot out of the hole in 2-3 seconds (as opposed to 7-8)... It still looks strange to me having the motor trimmed in that far. I mean, I watch other people and it doesn't look like their motor's are in that far? I guess it works, though... As a matter-of-fact, I only trimmed the motor out a little bit as I was picking up speed. It seemed like it was riding smoother all around. I wish there was some way to know how most people use their trim (how far in or out), but I guess that's not possible?

Anyway, thanks again for all the information... Oh yeah, it's still too scary to go WOT on Carlyle Lake. Too many boats and freakin' huge waves from the wind and traffic. Maybe one of these days I'll get up the nerve (I'll give everyone advanced warning).

SgtThump

Way to go Sarge. Boating and fishing sure is a lot more fun when there is no additional cost other than gas.

I wouldn't worry so much about how other people trim their motors. All boats, motors, props and set-ups are completely different thus requiring diffent motor postions to obtain maximum performance and efficiency. If what your doing is getting you out of the hole, handling well and giving you a smooth ride, then that's what you should keep doing.

Marke

Yup! I was in the town of Carlyle again this afternoon and noticed that it hadn't been washed away due to dam breakage!

Hey, Sarge, are you stationed over at SAFB or a Highway Patrolman or Local Cop? I work in Troy for Arrow Truck Sales.

I think that you'll find as you experiment more that you don't trim up anywhere near as high as you thought you would....... One of the best ways to me is when the steering wheel has a "neutral" feel to it; at this point the boat will also feel perfectly balanced and easily controlable.

me!

Thanks guys... Scott, you're exactly right. When playing with the trim on Sunday, I realized that I wasn't trimming out nearly as much as I thought. It made me wonder if I was doing it right. I agree with what you said Marke, I'll just focus on my boat and not everyone elses...

Scott - I was in the Air Force at Scott AFB for 6 years... I made Staff Sergeant and started using SgtThump as my "online" name... I have also played in local bands for around 13 years (I'm only 28)... I mainly play lead guitar, but I played bass with a St Charles band for around 1 1/2 years (that's where the "Thump" part comes from)...

And no, I'm not a long-hair rock and roll hippie!

Latest posts

Back