What would you TAKE for a 12-18 month move to China?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
OK here are the perameters for our airshipment, we also get what we take with us on the airline, and NO Neeley I can't take 3/4 of whats on your "boat" list!!! LOL

No: Drugs, Alcohol, compressed gas/spray cans, cars, boats, hot tubs, motorcycles...

HIGH incoming to China Tax on: Electronics, computers...

Conditions: Apartment is completely furnished and includes TVs, DVD players, stereo, highspeed internet and pots/pans/plates/cups.

We are already loading up on tylenol, advil, benadryl, psuedofed and other prescription meds to take in our airline bags. We will probably take sheets, towels and and bedding as everyone says while they are cheap price they are cheap quality/thin over there.

Boys will take some toys, but since we'll be in an apartment not a house, they won't have the 1000sqft playroom they have today!!! LOL We did agree to buy then new bike (those are imported but very reasonably priced.

So, for this short timeframe, in a furnished apartment, we're living in the "suburbs" a 10 min walk from parks, ball fields, shopping and the like.

Ideas?

Fishing gear and tackle? Pictures and what not to make it feel like home. Game system for you and the kids...

BF

BEER.....LOTS AND LOTS OF BEER:lol:

sucks you can't take it with you.....but maybe you'll find a new flavor:eek:

Don't take your dog....it might turn up missing. :lol:

Bikes are imported to China??......now that's funny!! I thought that the cheap ones here are made in China!

Bob G.

Just take clothes,.....you can get anything else you need over there!! After 18mos. over there you will have accumulated more chit than you will want to bring back anyway, so don't take anymore than is absolutely necessary!!

mac is closest, but do bring some things to remind you of home......personal stuff that you enjoy to relax with.....homesick sucks.....

Mac's right...they've got everything plus somethings that you didn't even think of, over there. Probably even the OTC meds you're taking. After all it not Nyrobi that you're going to....it's the country that is zooming past the rest of the world like we got out to check for a flat. I would take things that make you feel more like you and your family are at home...pictures of family, certian little knic-knacks that have a special meaning, and your favorite coffee cup. You can buy anything you need over there...or Amazon.com.

....I wonder what the toilet paper is like over there? :unsure:

Harpo

I lived abroad in N. Africa many (many) years ago. I did get to go to Paris/Europe once every three months. Favorite clothes is a big thing. Nothing like being able to simply get into a favorite pair of shoes/shorts/etc for the day.

I wanted reading material, but that is probably not a big problem over there. Especially with the Internet. I think you are right on with the OTC medications. Make sure you have a really good first aid kit. Things you are used to.

Pillows. For me, having the correct pillow is a big thing. Not sure what they will have available over there.

You will probably learn to cook/eat differently, so I don't think that's a big thing - unless you have a favorite spice(s) that you use all the time that you think will be handy there.

Make sure you have NEW shoes that meet your needs. Again, some of the 'athletic shoes' will probably have a large selection, but regular shoes will likely be very different.

Clothes - you can get clothes made there of great quality, CHEAP. Don't worry about the clothes that much other than possibly the winter jackets/stuff that was mentioned above.

Tex

Clothes, a good pillow, a nice towel or two, a roll of Skoal, a case of condoms and my drop shot stuff. :p

mini,

It's a year long trip.....3 pack should do ya! :lol:

Bob G.

Are you saying I only get relations for one night in a year? I am satying home!!!!

A Handheld GPS unit and a handheld Translator. Unless you are fluent in Chinease then your going to need both to get around.

Max <><

Mini and Bob - Pillows are a good idea, like Tex i'm picky. we'll bring nice towels and sheets.

Tex - Good idea on the shoes, we looked at the "knock off" outlets last month, problem was most of the shoes (men and ladies) are in "china" people sizes, small bodies and feet. So i'll probably grab a few extra pairs of Nike's at sportauthority, already brought a few new business shoes.

Carlos - I do hear toilet paper is needed, funny the master bath has both the usual and the Bidet!!! LOL

I don't smoke or chew, so no issues Mini!

Jim - If you saw my ealier post - beer is 55cents american for 600ml, cheaper then soda and bottled water!!! MMMMMM

Mini - case of condom??? I got "fixed" years ago, and I hadn't i'd need a few gross of the XL!!!! ;)

on food, they do NOT let you bring ANY in, and that includes spices, gotta buy them in country. Beka will have an "ayi" or maid/house keeper who will teach her how to cook chinese and cook a few nights a week, and we've already found a few nice clean good cheap restuants.

YUP dogs are going to Beka's Mom's next week! Trying to find a home for the Rabbit, and the Emperior Scorpion already has a good home for a year with Noah's 3rd grade female HOTTIE teacher!

Trep I envy you for having the guts to go. One of the reasons I think I am so pig headed sometimes is because I have never seen the rest of the world, I know we have it good here. But I also know that there is good and bad everywhere and I never had the guts to see it from their side. I hope this is one of the best things that ever happens to you and your family.

BF

Trep - seriously, your system (bodily) will not be used to the food, climate, water, etc. Bring Pepto Bismol: Maximum strength - lots of it to tide you over until your system can adjust. Trust me after having spent several extended summers in my youth in the far east. Also, not sure about the water system, but make sure to check. Even then stick with bottled water for drinking or better yet, boil some. You can buy electric thermos/hot water dispensers over there that plug in. Pour in water, hit a button and it boils it and keeps it hot for you. There's a reason why tea is big over there (i.e., the water gets boiled first to kill the nasties). Everything else is small potatoes (i.e., food, clothing, sheets, etc. - all there in abundance).

J.

ps: I hope your apartment has the "western" style toilets versus the "squat" ones (thing porcelin hole in the floor!). Otherwise, you and the family are going to build up one heck of a set of thigh muscles!! :D :D

LOL at the thought of skinny old Trep with "popeye" thighs in 18 months--:lol::lol::lol:.

Trep,

Hope they have regular toilets there. I've seen the "hole" kind in Korea....not a pretty sight!

Bob G.

Latest posts

Back