What Would You Do

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
Here's the setup....The Chain of Lakes where I spent the last 2 weeks has undergone quite a change from last year (from the last 6 years as a matter of fact). They have decided to kill off a lot of the weed growth. The water was unusually warm, low to mid 80's, which is VERY warm for these waters. Lakes are 100% spring fed with only 2 very small streams that feed in and one small river that feeds out. Water is gin clear. Lakes go up to 90 feet deep and average 200 to 500 acres each (28 lakes). Main forage is minnows, blugill/crappie/yellow perch fry and crawfish. What weed growth there is about 4 feet from shore and 6 feet deep.

Took me a week to get them figured out but I did and had a good trip anybody want to wager a guess on what I used and where to get my best fish?

This pic is an average undeveloped shorline, 90% of the lakes are developed and I will tell you I never caught squat from docks.

IM000204.JPG

TOXIC

I'd try a couple of things:

1) Wacky Rigged Senko's (Culprit Stingers for me - :p) on the edge of the weedline. I'd try Watermelonseed / Silver Flake or Chili Pepper in the Stinger, or Baby Bass, Daquiri, or Smoke / Silver in the Senko.

2) Drop shot any structure I could find. Natural colors - Watermelonseed, Pumpkinseed, Smoke.

3) Drink plenty of Gatorade as I float around in a tube in that gin clear water.

#3 would probally be my favorite technique for gin clear water, but I'd give #1 and #2 a try for a few minutes before resorting to #3.:D

Beautiful looking place man!

All the best,

Glenn

i'd throw the girl with the keelshield tournament shirt in the front, and let her put me on fish...

david

Yea david....she oufished me one day so bad I was copying her lure selection!!:lol:

Sim, I did some night fishing but it was not as productive as I thought it would be.

Glen, You mean like this..............
IM0001607.JPG

Only difference is we were no sipping Gatoraide:D and the pic was on Lake Mendota in Madison, WI. A day trip to see a buddies new 28 foot SeaRay Sundancer.

TOXIC

PS....you are getting warmer~~!~~~~

:pToxic,

Sounds like a lake that I fish often, I would use the following but maybe not in the exact order:

1) Soft Plastic Stick Baits (Tex-Posed)

2) Jerk Baits & Floating Rapalas (on Points & over weed beds)

3) Hula Grubs & Conventional Jigs

4) Spinner Baits

5) Magnum sized Tubes in green pumpkin

6) Drop Shot in 5'-20'

7) A pack of Marlboro's & some Corona's

CJL

I would fish that weedline. With tubes, senko,s, sluggo's, hula grubs and hard jerkbaits.

Sounds like a good place to work a crank bait over the grass beds.......

The two places I caught fish were in barren troughs in a minimum of 20 feet of water with weeds nearby (dropshot) and the weed edges where the creek dumped in. This area produced because the influx of fresh water kept the weeds healthier than in other places on the lake. It gave me about a 200 foot stretch of bank to work with a Senko in the thickest part of the weeds. There was some limited action early in the morning and at dusk on the weed edges (they moved up from the deeper troughs). Biggest fish came off the Senko (2 in the 4lb range) and the most numbers came off the dropshot (thanks Mini:D). I was catching small bluegill in 20 feet with a dropshot!! Crank and spinnerbait action was non-existant. It was plastics all the way!!

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back