What Prop Is Better

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone used the fury prop with a 901 cdx 200 mercury I have the tempest plus 23 would the fury 24 work.

your boat was made before the fury prop so.. i dont have the specs on it but i would speculate that a 25 fury may just be o.k.?

you should be reving around 5500-5700 rpm with that motor at w.o.t.

more than that and your risking detonation.

If your motor the 2.5l EFI or 3.0l Optimax? I do believe there is a prop difference between those two motors. I know guys with each configuration and they are propped different. The guy with the 2.5l motor has a 23 tempest and the guy with the 3.0l can turn a 25.

that's true if you are using a 200hp xr6 that is a 2.5 block from 2005 up the 200hp efi or opti is the 3.0 block

OK I will throw a big monkey wrench into this whole chat line.......I had a 901, 200Opti, and if you want to go fast, the 25 Tempest will run sweet, if you can deal with a very slow hole shot loaded, mine ran around 5400 wth the 25 tempest, i normally ran a 24 tempest, all but as fast, and a bit better out of the hole...i now run a 911cdc, upgraded to the 250 xs last year, and have both a 25 tempest and a 25 fury, the tempest is still a bit better with a heavy load, but on the gps the fury is about 1.5 mph faster.

for the 901 i would not go over 24, and from what i know with my current set up, the fury pulls out of the hole just a bit harder, i would not put hte 25 on that hull from my history

I'm running a 24 Fury but on a Verado. I'm getting high 70's with a few engine tweaks.

Ok high 70s? with a 901 and a 200......is that MPH or KPH? my 901 with a 200 opti ran tops 65 on the GPS........

Toxic.........with a tweaked motor, i might be able to beleive 70......but i do not buy high 70s

I have a 2007 nitro 750 nx with a 90 elpto. I bought it about a month ago and I have never owned a boat before. It had a 19 pitch aluminum prop and would max out on RPM's at about 3/4 throttle at only 36 MPH (GPS). I put a 21 pitch SS SOLACE prop on it and now am able to run WOT at about 5400 RPM's at 46 MPH. (max for my engine is 5500) The boat is 17'6" and weighs 1350 lbs. Is this about all the speed I will be able to get out of this set up? Also,should outboards be ran at max RPM's or slightly under max? Any comments would be appreciated. I know very little about boats and outboard engines.

Greetings, I'm new here and a new owner of a 2005 901 CDX. Can I continue this thread with a new caveat? Here's my issue: Horribly sluggish hole shot (not new, I get it). It's painful. Plows water for 10 to 15 seconds. If I have a third passenger, I need to have the third buddy crawl up front to help get the bow down. I've been on other bass boats, and haven't observed such a sluggish start from other rigs. I read that the 901 CDX is a heavy hull, and perhaps a bit under-powered even with 200 ponies. I'm running the Tempest 25 pitch, three blade on a 2005 Optimax 200 2-stroke. PVS holes appear to be medium. Once on plane, I get decent top end speed (at least decent enough for a first time bass boat owner), but am only spinning 4200 rpms WOT. Even on calm water and 10 - 12 miles of open water in front of me, I can't get over 4200 rpms even playing with the trim, unless of course I cavitate the motor.

After a bunch of research, here's more that I can offer:

Center of shaft (cone?) is approximately 9" below the pad. From what I read, this is likely far too low.
I have absolutely zero rooster tail (not that this is important to me) but again suggests that my motor is too low.
I have no adjustable jack plate. Motor is mounted to a pseudo jack plate, but there's zero adjustability.
Motor has five mounting holes, and is mounted on the second from the top (meaning it's almost as low as it can be).

I've tried a buddy's High Five 23 point prop. Very good hole shot, approx 4800 rpms, but I dropped 20 mph on the GPS. I tried a few other props last fall after picking up the new baby, but was never able to hit the magic 5200 rpms. I took notes, but have subsequently lost them over the winter. But I know I didn't try a 24 pitch prop.

Will completely pulling out one or more of the PVS plugs help enough? What about dropping to a 24-pitch prop, either 3-bladed or 4-bladed? Or is it safe to assume that my motor is too low? Would mounting it on the bottom of the five mounting holes help enough, or am I looking at installing a jack plate, either manual or hydraulic?

I'm a first time bass boat owner, and will welcome and relish the advice from those of you who are veteran Nitro owners. On the plus side, it's just AWESOME to fish out of! Far better than my wife's old Lund boat!

Much obliged, Bork

2020-05-26 12.13.13.jpg
2020-05-26 12.13.08.jpg

One other bit of information. . . I had my wife bury the Hot Foot to the floor, and while looking under the cowling, I can confirm that the Hot Foot is set up correctly, and the throttle is indeed buried all of the way. I was hoping for a quick fix. . . .

thanks for your input, Bork

So now more info. . . . per a buddy, I put the rig on a concrete floor, and put a bubble level on the trailer and the lower unit. And per your diagram, I am at 3 inches! Not sure just how I got 9" before, but now I feel stupid!

So now the question is, am I too shallow? I can only drop the motor about 1/2" to the lowest setting. Or should I be looking at those PVS holes in the Tempest prop, or even trying a new prop, e.g. 24 pitch? Or should I still just suck it up, stop whining, and drop the money into a manual jack?

Latest posts

Back