What is the correct tach for my mercury?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rey Gonzalez

Reaction score
I am doing a makeover to my nitro 640 lx dash... I need to find out what is the correct tachometer for my 60 mercury. My 60 serial # is OG993098 and the gauges that I like are faria performance and on the description it said that will fit mercury outboard with 4,6,8,10,12 and 20 poles.... Do anyone knows if this will fit?

Well, after taking the tac gauge out of the dash I was able to confirm that is a 6p (6 pole) :D //// there is a dialer and a arrow pointing to the 6 p....:cool: at least I got this one down... Now I'm adding 3 New gauges, the trim gauge, oil pressure and water temp and the gauges did not come with instructions or the hardware to installed and at this point I'm not sure what do I would need...:wacko:

If you do not already have it, you need the sensor that sends the signal to your trim gauge. It mounts on your motor somewhere. On my 90 hp merc it mounted into a slot on the trim/tilt pin that secures the trim/tilt rod to the motor. The threaded mounting hole for the sensor was already there. The back of the gauge should have a letters designating the color of the wires to mount there from the sensors wiring harness.

For water pressure gauge you need the plastic water line and the necessary fittings to connect to your motors power head and to the gauge. There should be an 1/8" pipe plug on the power head for this. On the 90 hp it was located on the back above and to the right of the top spark plug as your looking at it from the rear. You would use this same hole to mount your water temp gauge sending unit which you would also need to get. You would need a "tee" to connect both.

I am assuming you meant water pressure gauge because outboard 2 cycle engines do not have an engine oil pump in a crankcase ,so there is no engine oil pressure. 4 cycles do.

I am not an outboard mechanic by any means but that's the way I added my trim gauge and water pressure gauge..

The gauges will arrive this Saturday but what I can see on the picture of the gauge is oil and the #'s 0 40 80 would that be oil temp?:unsure:

Ok, I confirm that the oil gauge is a oil press gauge, so now the big ? Is outboard motors do not used oil press gauge? What I purchase was a set of 4 gauges and the set name is: Faria Performance series 4 piece outboard multi-function gauge set. / Can anyone confirm this?:wacko:

http://faria-instruments.com/boxset.php

Have a look at this page. Outboards stes don't have Oil Pressure Guages, you may have ordered an Inboard set in error?

I received the gauges this past Saturday and confirm with the except of the oil press that they are for outboard, it'ts kind of odd that this is the only gauge that I'm not able to confirm if it is for only outboard or inboard... I have to make sure before I contact greatlakes.com:wacko:

This is what I purchase: :wacko: Tachometer with volt and trim indicators; 0-7000 RPM, set up for 4/6/8/10/12/20 pole Mercury / Volvo /Yamaha outboards, mfg. part # GT0023A Speedometer with fuel indicator; 80 MPH, pitot style, mfg. part # GS0013A Temperature; 100-250, mfg. part # GP7716A Oil, 0-80, mfg. part # GP7715A

Latest posts

Back