What is fogging?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoops.

Anyway, what is fogging a motor? My last motor was a Merc 8hp tiller that, after running the gas out and changing lower unit oil, I stored in the basement.

Also, I hope to use my boat on the rivers all winter. What steps should I take to make sure nothing freezes, but can still grab the boat and go?

Thanks,

Rich D

I fish The Wisconsin River in Early Spring when Ice and Snow often Remain. If you leave the boat in the water overnight like I do on my March Trip

, DO NOT tilt the Motor Up. Leave the lower unit submerged so It will be wet, not frozen. If you pull the boat out of the water Outboards are Self Draining. Be sure to trim it all the way down on the traailer to allow all the water to drain before raising it for traveling. If you leave it outside, again trim it down so no water or snow can get into the prop hub. I use SEAFOAM in every tankful in the winter, Like STABIL, it keeps Gas Fresh and also moisture free. Most people do not reccomend running the motor out of Gas, but if you are storing it in your basement It is probably safest. One more thing to add is check your lower unit fluid more often and change it in the Fall. Any signs of water and it should be fixed so it does not freeze. Simply loosening the gear lube fill screw and letting a few drops out you can inspect for water or lube. If there is water, again you need to get it fixed. Hope this helps.
http://.

Personally, I wouldn't recomend running the engine out of gas. No gas = no oil. No oil meens your going to be making a visit to the repair shop. Not good.

Fogging is an aerosol oil that you introduce into the engine to coat all the internal metal parts against rust during prolonged storage. Do a search on the internet for "engine fogging" there's tons of info on it. If you plan on using your outboard throughout the winter on a fairly regular basis then fogging wouldn't be necessary.

Latest posts

Back