What have I done??? .500 S&W purchase

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
I don't know why... but I just wanted it. Yesterday, I purchased a .500 S&W N.E.F. Handi-Rifle... BEFORE reading about the recoil. I have a hard enough time with a 20 gauge slug gun, and this thing is rumored to have the recoil of a magnum 12 gauge slug gun.

I'm not sure if I'll keep it, but I just have to shoot it a few times. Don't know why I want to punish myself like that, but hey - I'll give it a shot. If I don't like it, I'll send it to H&R and see if they can stick a 28 gauge shotgun barrel on it.... just because I've wanted one of those for a while too. :)

All the best,
Glenn

Its not bad if you got big hands. My 454 casull recoils pretty good too but heck I like that. Course ain't much left of a rabbit but the makings of rabbit stew, IF you can find enough pieces of it :D, after all, it was designed for defense against a bear

I'm well on my way to turning this cheap rifle into a more expensive rifle (Ha!). I've love using the JP Recoil Eliminators, and I just found out they make one for .50 cal. So I'll probably be ordering a JPRE-9 and getting the barrel threaded.
All the best,
Glenn

Just one more gun.... And, then I am done... (Liar, liar, pants on fire!) Cool to have another caliber, just need dies and bullets...

Ha! Ain't that the truth! Problem is... ammo is hard to find, but so are the components for this one. Even the dies were out of stock at my normal places.
All the best,
Glenn

BTW.... my "dreams" include a 28ga O/U.... then I would need another MEC.... so cool!!! Or, an 1100 28ga...

No such thing as too much fun or too many guns...

Thanks Greg. I don't own any Lee die sets, but I have the Lee Factory Crimp dies for just about everything I reload, as well as one of their universal decapping dies (I love that thing!). My hesitance with Lee is that all of the ones I have start to rust fairly easily. When I touch them, the oils from my fingers must contain salt that is reacting with them. Not bad, and I have controlled it though wiping them down with Hornady spray, but it is a concern. None of my Hornady or RCBS dies do that. It's only the Lee dies. Odd. I'll probably buy these anyway, as I won't reload much for this one. At least not as much as I reload for others!
All the best,
Glenn

Oh... and your "dream gun" is in my buddies house. At least I think you would like it. He has an awesome Browning Citori in a kit with all the gauge adapters. They are full length barrel tubes. I think he has 20, 28, and .410 tubes for this 12 gauge, all in a nice presentation case. The guy who had it before was a competitor and had the stock cut and the comb raised on some pins. It's an awesome firearm. He has shot it quite a bit lately with the 28 gauge adapters in it. He smokes the clays at the skeet range. I can't keep up. He makes it seem so easy.
All the best,
Glenn

The inserts work well for clay sports. What I want is an O/U in 28ga on a 20ga frame... super light and maybe 25-26 inches for field/hunting. Franchi sells their "Diamond" through major chains and a 28 is about $900-1000 on sale for a really nice gun. Bought one in 12 for my son as a graduation present when he finished law school.

Greg I have a friend of mine who has two or three 1100's in 28 guage. Don't know if he'd part with one but I can ask.

MIke

Greg I have a friend of mine who has two or three 1100's in 28 guage. Don't know if he'd part with one but I can ask.

MIke

You know my weakness for 1100s... I would be very interested in one of them...

I can talk to him I'm going to a gun show with him in a couple weeks he's been talking about getting rid of some of his stuff he just might be willing to let go with oneback when we used to have that since here he would come out and shoot pheasants with 28 gauge he always bought a couple of them they were top notch

Let me know the specifications if he is interested

I'll ask him he has a house in iowa city But spends a lot of time in Fulton illinois I don't know how close that is to you. I talk to him at least twice a week I'll bring it up? you never know
MIKE

Fulton is right on the Mississippi River and a great place to fish...

I don't know why... but I just wanted it. Yesterday, I purchased a .500 S&W N.E.F. Handi-Rifle... BEFORE reading about the recoil. I have a hard enough time with a 20 gauge slug gun, and this thing is rumored to have the recoil of a magnum 12 gauge slug gun.

I'm not sure if I'll keep it, but I just have to shoot it a few times. Don't know why I want to punish myself like that, but hey - I'll give it a shot. If I don't like it, I'll send it to H&R and see if they can stick a 28 gauge shotgun barrel on it.... just because I've wanted one of those for a while too. :)

All the best,
Glenn

That's a thumper! Slip a recoil pad on the butt. Makes a big difference for hard kicking guns.

Yep. That will be the first thing I do. I like Limbsaver pads, but it's got a wooden stock on it, so I'm not sure if the one they sell (for the synthetic stock) will fit, or if I'm going to have to do some matching and/or grind-to-fit work. No matter what, it's getting a good recoil pad first thing.
All the best,
Glenn

Does your Handi look like this one?

photo_Handi_500.jpg

If so, that recoil pad might be enough. I have a H&R Talo edition 357 mag with that rubber butt pad. It's thick and has a lot of give. Not needed on the 357 mag, but I would think it would be effective on the 500S&W.

Rich,
I don't have it in hand yet. He just mailed it today, and I should have it early next week.
All the best,
Glenn

Latest posts

Back