What do you guys think of the Optima batteries?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Droke

Reaction score
Need to replace my trolling battery. Anyone have any comments on the Optima batteries? Any suggestions on a good sealed gel battery for trolling motor? Thanks in advance.

You will get a lot of opinions. Can't go wrong with 2 brands in my book...Delco and Trojan. Priemum price but very good reviews from all that use them. Personally, I don't like Interstates but a lot of people have good success with them. I got burned on 3 sets in 1 year and that was enough for me. I've heard good and bad on the Optima's but I would spend that $$ on a Trojan or AC Delco myself.

You can get bad ones with any of them but, like Tox I think the Optimas are a little expensive. Too many other good brands. Myself I've had pretty good luck with Interstates BUT, you're not gonna' beat the Delco for the bucks.

I've had good luck with Optimas. The set in my boat now has been in there three years + with no issues.

Steve

Just look at the capacity of those batteries (about what a regular group 24 deep cycle battery has). Not enough for me, I fish more than I ride around and I fish a long day.

Their lifetime is longer, they recharge faster, but don't have the capacity for serious fishing.

Im with Tee, Tox and Wayne on the Optimas. They just dont have the reserve capacity that other batteries have and cost way too much. I know a few guys that have run them and were pretty disapointed when their $600 pair of batteries croaked 6 hours or so into a windy fishing day.

If your dead set on a sealed AGM type battery take a look at the cabelas advanced anglers batteries. They are good batteries for a decent price(as far as AGM's go) and they have good capacity as well. I have one of them as my start battery and have since the interstate that came in my z7 croaked only a few months into owning the boat. I have personally not tried them yet for the trolling motor but i might when i need replacments. I run trojans now and love them but they are very hard to find in my area now since the place i got mine from went out of business.

I am going into year 8 on my 3 Optima D34m's in my PT185. But, they are not heavily used all year and only get put to the test twice a year when I go to Ky. Lake for a week at a time.

Thanks for the advice. I will look into the Trogan's and Delco's.

i will never spend money on Optima batteries again. they last just as long as others costing alot less. the only difference in a starting or trolling situation i have found is the Optima just costs more. Stick with Trojan or Delco and by better bait instead.

Just replaced my Optima cranking battery with a Sears PM1 it's a beast at 75lbs but 1150 MCA and 205 reserve is the best you can get.

unnamed.jpg

I put 2 of those beasts in the bow of my 1648 two years ago for my 80# Terrova Ipilot. I got mine from BatteriesPlus. Last year Cabelas started offering the same battery (labeled for them of course, like Sears now does). Truly monsters that don't know when to quit. I can launch in the Wisconsin River, fight the current for 4-5 days without ever plugging in the charger & never lose more then one light on the Terrova battery test light. I am always using the auto-pilot & SpotLock so they get a huge workout every time out. Biggest difference between retailers on that battery is price ($290 at Sears, $360 at Cabelas, $370 at Batt+) is warranty. Sears=3 yrs, Cabelas=4yrs, Batt+=FIVE yrs!!. That's a non-prorated warranty, FULL replacement! Let's see Optimas beat that..LOL

My brother runs a Batt+ so I got mine for $305@ and can guarantee you, they will be found "weak" at 4.5yrs and replaced under warranty so they were a 9-10yr investment..LOL. Best damn battery/warranty going. BPS & Cabelas standard AGM warranties are 6 & 9 months last I checked. Plus at 75# each, they do one heck of a job keeping the jon boat bow down at takeoff..I usually fish alone with my 280# carcass on the 25hp tiller so bow lift "was" an issue in shallows, not anymore!

I've had the same Optima's in boat for four seasons with no issues. I fish 1 to 2 days a weeks in alot of wind and current. I would buy another set if I had to, but as of now I don't see why these won't last another season.

Although they are not AGM, I personally like the Wally-World Everstarts for my TM batteries. They are inexpensive, run the whole day just fine, and you can find a Wally-World just about anywhere if you have a warranty issue.

I looked into the DieHards recently for my starting battery that I need to replace, but will likely go with a Deka Marine Master. I personally can't justify spending that kind of money for the level and amount of fishing I do.

I've been thru way too many Interstates in the 4-years I've had my boat to give them another shot. It came with a slightly older set and they died not too long after I got it. Probably not the battery's fault, but that of the previous owner. Since then I rifled thru 2 cranking batteries (1 failed at 11-1/2mo) so the 2nd was free. It's right at 3-yo and its done. The TM batteries did not last as long as one cracked after about a year and a half, and the other just gave up the ghost at 2-years.

Latest posts

Back