weather related survey...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Payne

Reaction score
Been wondering alot lately about some of the "other" affects that weather can have.

For example, when planning a trip, do you let forecasts be your guide, or just go and "tough it out" regaurdless?

I usually go reguardless except for 2 conditions: major storms on the relative map and if I have to drive to and launch in the rain. I don't mind getting wet, but I hate to start the day that way.

What wind speed (forecast/actual/gusting to) do you decide to stay home?

I usually avoid anything in excess of 15, unless I know of protected coves, but usually this is where the fish are not.

Does Fog actually affect the fishing? Or just the fisherman?

Same with when the moisture is rising from the water? Does this have any impact? (I'm not weather savvy, my guess is that the water temp is slightly higher than the surrounding air...)

Do fish care wether or not the fisherman are "comfortable"?

If fishing in a tourney, I go unless it is dangerous.

The guide I used this weekend in WV, did a GREAT job of watching the weather and the waterflow/conditions. Up until Saturday, he told me to reconsider another date, when the conditions were more favorable. I really appreciated his looking out for MY interests.

If it's too windy, more than 12-15 mph, I don't go if it's a pleasure trip. Tournament time, again it's a danger factor.

Tex

I don't tourney fish, so it's all for fun. I used to wait for the nice calm days to fish and not catch much. Now I look for the moderate winds and 1 to 2 footers for some good smallie action. If it's calm, I look for largemouths. I don't like downpours, lightning or 3 to 4 footers.

The other day I pulled 5 smallies off of a spot 15 feet from shore on a rocky point dropoff in 2 footers. I would creep up the calm side of the point and then get out in the rough stuff and drift a grub. 4 of the smallies were in the 3lb range.

Bob G.

As a pleasure fisherman it depends on if the family is coming. If the boys and/or the wife are comming only warm, dry, not too windy days.

For me, since I only get out to fish maybe once a week, it's NOT going only IF (as Tex Said) "it's a danger factor". I've launched in the rain, i've fished in the rain no problems!

Now that said if I have 2 or 3 possible day/times that I can go, say either Sat or Sun morning, then I used weather.com and the national weather service web sites to decide which has the better "fishy" day. Even if it means going on a wetter, colder, windier day if the catching chances (like before vs. after a front) are higher i'll go.

Oh, and now that I have a Bimini Top, those raining days will be much nicer, especialy trolling for stripers!!

Trep,

The bimini top will be nice for helping keep the sun off your back, but it doesn't do much if the rain is coming down and you are moving or the wind in blowing. You just end up getting wet. The top is great for family outings.

david.....

i generally will fish regardless of the weather. I have fished tournaments in heavy rain, sleet, snow and high winds. The only time i dont go out on tournament day is if the wind is blowing 30+ and the waves are massive, in lightning storms and if theres so much fog that it makes it dangerous to be out there. when im pleasure fishing i tend to no go on crappy days, i want to enjoy myself and i try to choose the better days. I dont think rain and fog effect the fish as much as it effects the fisherman. Theres a guy in my club that cant fish in any sort of inclement weather, it just throws him totally off his game. he spends more time worrying about getting wet and no time on the task at hand. On a nice day this guy can win on any given day, if its rainy or cloudy out hes lucky to weigh a fish. I presonally like fishing on cloudy days because i think the fish are more aggressive and bite better, at least they do for me.

"Ooooklahoma, where the wind comes sweeping 'cross the plain......." keeps me off the lake more than anything else. Especially in my PT185 it blows me around so bad sometimes I can't effectivelly fish an area I know is holding bass. It's hard to work a jig or senko when you're blowing backwards a 20mph. It gets so frustrating sometimes that once I actually said out loud, "I'm going to get rid of this tin piece of $*#% and get a boat that doesn't get blown around like a leaf". There, I got that off my chest. Confession is good for the heart. It is a factor that makes me take notice when I read the Ranger liturature and their claims that their boats sit lower in the water and are not as susceptible to the winds. I don't know it this is real or advertising hype. Perhaps Rob or Mac will let me know for sure.

Don't mind fishing in the rain or cold within reason. Thunderstorms will keep me at home or get me off the lake in a hurry.

Summer in Oklahoma can be brutal. After the temps start hitting 99..100..103, I'm usually done (well done) by noon.

Harpo

I honestly believe weather effects the Fisherman more than the fish. There's always fish biting somewhere regardless of weather conditions. Safety is the biggest factor that determines weather I go fishing or not. There isn't any fishing trip or tournament worth loosing your life over.

Wind, rain, and cold aren't usually a factor. Local trips are easier to plan around because I don't work (not by choice). I try and fish all sorts of scenarios because it will help in the long run.

My partner and I have a running joke about the wind... usually just follows us around no matter what we do!

The wind will blow, the rain will fall, the temps will drop. That is why they made Gore-Tex and thinsulate. I will not let it keep me from fishing, as long as I think I wont die...lol

Mini

Mini,...your lifestyle will kill you before the weather ever does!!..LOL....now GET SOME SLEEP!!!!

i start getting nervous when the wind gets over 40mph on the lake i fish. other than lightning and tornados and hailstones i pretty much go and try to make the best of it. fishin in the fog is pretty much like fishing at night if it is real thick. kindof get nervous when you here the sound of a boat coming and you know its on plane and you can't see 10yds in front of ya. i mainly watch for lightning and tornados in the summer and stay off the big like when the winds hit 20 mph.

jd

Since all my fishing is recreational, I tend to go in phases, early in the season, it takes 15mph+ wind, or torrential rains to keep me off the water, cold doesn't bother me too much.... bottom line, early on, (April/May)

only high winds or ALOT of rain keeps me home..... I'm usually too excited to be coming out of hibernation....

As the season goes along I get a little more picky, (June/July/Aug/Sept) Then I want less rainy conditions, and prefer to go when I can be out there in shorts, t-shirt, and be comfortable..... anything under 15 mph sustained winds is ok,

Later in the season(Oct/Nov) I get less picky again figuring each time out could be the last for the season....

Unless it's REAL bad, fog usually doesn't bother me, the drive to the lake is usually worse than the fishing/relaxing once I'm there....

egMike--p.s.- forgot to add, any sign of lightning, dangerous storms approaching, etc, gets me off the water and headed home fast, in my younger days on lake Michigan with my dad there were many times a storm front would come along over the Chicago skyline and we'd be a few miles out

and the ride back in, to load and leave, would be brutal, I guess the memories, will always keep me on the cautious side when it comes to lightning/thunderstorms....

The only thing that gets me off of the lake is lightning. We have a policy of only cancelling trips "at the dock". If I am on the water, the first lightning bolt will send me in for the dock. I am truly hard core but not stupid enough to stand on a fiberglass transformer with a graphite lightning rod in my hand just to fish. I had lightning hit the lake about 25 yards from me. THAT my friends will make you a believer!! Guranteed you won't let it happen again!!

TOXIC

When fishing with the wife and children I go / stay home.

When fishing with the guys it becomes a battle of wills....Who will be the first to say "I think we should go"

When fishing with Mini this is what I got:

"I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff is gonna come down for quite some time." - Bill Murray (Caddy Shack)

Two words, Gore - Tex!!!

Lightning.... Thats my biggie. I'm the tallest thing in the marsh and I'm waving a long stick. Other than that, water won't hurt you.... much. Course, too much bathing will weak'en you so I heard. Don't know if that applies to rain or not.

Fished a tournament on Saginaw Bay yesterday in 35 mph NNE winds and 12 foot waves. Wasnt pretty, and I thought of this thread when I was clinching the rail in my partners BassCat as we headed back from the Charity Islands to Bayport at 10 oclock. Took an hour and change to go the 12 miles back to Wildfowl Bay......BTW finished second with 14.36.

Mini

mini,

Next time you are in 12 footers, take a pic cause I want to see it!! How do you manuever a bass boat in that stuff? There was some high winds and 4 to 6 footers on Champlain last year and the Coast Guard had to go out and rescue a 14 foot aluminum boat that ventured out. Me, I did a drive by just to make sure the lake report was right, and left my boat in the garage! Also, congrats on the 2nd place finish!

Bob G.

Normally 12 footers are spaced apart enough that you can "glide" over them. These were wind blown and close. As we were heading down the front of one surfing, the next one would almost be at the bow....and 7 or 8 feet above it. Breathtaking to say the least. The wind was blowing the tops of the waves off.

I am not thinking of pictures at that time, although I might just do it to make everyone freak.....lol

Thank you for the congrats, I was happier to be back on shore alive than the finish in the tournament. Now in 5th place overall.

Mini

Latest posts

Back