Waterlogged floatation in bildge

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon Forston

Reaction score
I have a 1993 Nitro 180FS that I recently purchased in November. I have been going over every inch of the boat/trailer/motor, getting it to where I feel comfortable that everything will perform flawlessly while out on the water. The final two projects are hydraulic steering and go through the bildge area. After removing the gas tank, livewell fittings and thru transom fittings, I noticed a drop or two of water coming from the two raised area in the bildge that contain floatation. (Don't know when the last time it was actually in the water?) Had that sinking feeling in my stomach and guessed that all the floatation is severly waterlogged. My guess, too many screws from gas tank mounts, batt mounts, oil tank mounts etc., without properly sealing the holes. My guess is that most older boats deal with this same issue and most people have no idea what is even down there. Well, I drilled a 4" hole on the top of each side and got most of the waterlogged floatation out, at least as far as I can reach. (At least 100lbs of foam and water.) My original idea was to air it out well, refill with foam and reseal with glass. Im not so sure anymore, as I cannot reach a bulkhead so there has to be more foam up a ways. I do have the boat tilted well to drain and air out. I guess I'm looking for your opinions here. Am I going too far here? Should I just fill it with foam, seal it up and enjoy this year? Should I cut a larger area to hopefully reach up to the back of the seats where I think a bulkhead may exist? Should I take it in to a shop, have them seperate the boat and have them redo it professionally? This is the best boat that I have owned and I do want to take care of it and treat it right, but how far do I go? I really don't have the funds to have it done professionally, but if that is what it takes, she just won't see the water for a year or two. It is garage kept at all times and I do not plan on selling it... Frustrated....

P.S. I did put a pic in my library of one of the holes and some of the floatation pulled out.

Keep the boat dry and leave the holes open to air out. If there are no cracks on the hull {indicating flex} me thinks you are worrying too much....go out and enjoy it. ;)

the boats value is in that you can use it now. your over thinking if you have to do any more than what you already have your money would be better spent elsewhere.

that said if it floats and the motor runs good and there are no cracks in the main hull

use it till she dont float no more. you,ll get years of service is my bet.

I appreciate the advice Bob and Joe! I know you two have alot of experience and have set my mind at ease, thank you! Going to continue to air dry it, fill with foam and seal it back up good. Hopefully will get her out before ice up:)

Latest posts

Back