water overrunning transom well

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 04 700LX during stop and start fishing floodsa the transom well and eventually puts alot of water in the battery compartment.Even though the bilge pump will pump the water out, I would like to know if anyone has found a fix for the problem.

I also have an 04 700. I just trim the motor all the way in. I still get a little bit of water(maybe an inch deep by the drain plug) but it keeps the majority of the water out. The main problem for me is stopping but now I just pull back on the throttle gradually and that helps alot.

Skip

Well just be glad that there is not a gas tank vent cap in your splash well like mine.

I have seen a splash gaurd on a cajun boat recently. It was made of thick rubber and ran the length of the splash well.

Wolf

I have a fix for it. Seal the battery compartment with silicone. U don't really need to be in there anyway.

Kidding.

If you can fix it u might make millions, cuz i am currently unaware of any bass boat that can take on water

and shed it off the side without letting some water into the hull. Usually the Bass boats have a section of the rear deck that is higher then the rest of the boat where water can drain off and out of the boat.

Reminds me of my last fishing trip on in a 02 Skeeter zx225. Came off a plane and we almost got soaked. Water came all the way up the the seats, he forgot to goose it.

Try this...it will help.

When coming off plane, look back at the transom....just when the water is ready to break over it, goose the throttle gently forward to pull away from it.

With practice, you should be able to keep it pretty dry.

Triple ditto, that is what I have to do to keep the water off of the back deck.

All about timing

Carlos

Quadruple ditto!!! My 13yo daughter can even do it!! LOL!!

Bob G.

last ditto... or one other option...

upgrade to the 9 series... they feature a "anti splash" design on the transom....

Sim, does that actually work on the 9 series? The 882 has the same design and if i just cut the trottle at speed the water floods the whole deck. I have to slow down, trim in then goose the throttle like Ken said to keep it dry back there.

All will do the same thing. As stated, watch your back and throttle forward when the wake comes to you.

I had a friend with a 22 foot ranger with an 200+ v-6 and his would do the same if he did not throttle forward.

I saw the water top the motor housing once on this thing. Never could wear a hat when WOT, I put it under my foot.

Only time I've had water hit the deck was:

From Wakes by pleasure boaters (over the bow)...

And one time some stuff blew out (bag o'new stuff), I stopped fast, threw it in reverse and gunned it (it had been a bad evening)... with the motor trimmed down, that threw a bit of water on the back deck...

Otherwise, I have not had any water come up over the back deck from normal running...

But, I must admit, that I heard about the "ease forward" bit and might be doing it unconciounsly...

I do alot of things these days that way.

Cqbacker, I agree my buddy has a 522 and water would go right up on the back deck if he didn't throttle forward for a sceond after backing off on WOT.

Come on guys, just tell him the truth, if he'd bought a 175 or 185 Aluminium boat he'd never have this problem!!!! LOL

Just kidding guys!! But it's true, no problems on my 175.

Now the question I have, is this a big/fast boat problem or is it a Nitro problem? Mac, Snow and the other guys now running non-Nitro's do you have to do the same power at the last minute?

Trep

My son likes to shut it down real quick and get the BIG wave but I don't think it comes over the transom. I usually give a more gradual slow down before I stop. I do the goose it thing sometimes but she usually slaps me when I do.

Harpo

Have to goose it a little on my Triton too. did the same thing on my old NITRO too. I don't think it really matters what size or make of boat, it happens to most of them.

I do the "Kneeley Crawl" most of the time but if I have to stop NOW, I just ptich the boat to one side or the other and watch the wake from stopping go right past. And yes, the 929 will put a wall up higher than your motor.

TOXIC

The last thing you should ever want to do with any boat/outboard is stop short. The water over the back is far less damaging than the water forced up the exhaust. I've seen several blown heads due to this that the mfg's do not cover in their warranties. Think of it like you're driving your car. (i.e.) Do you run full tilt then slam on the brakes at the stop light? When you approach your destination gradually back off the throttle, easing your boat off the running surface. As your bow drops (usually about the time the "wall" of water appears behind the transom) lightly accelerate to avoid the bulge.

This holds true for just about every make and model I know.

(Edit Addition: Always trim drown fully when coming off pad for best results.)

I can pull the throttle back to a "dead stop" and not get water...at least I haven't yet on my 185. It probabaly has to do with weight because it sure ain't transom height..mine only sets about 2 to 3" outta the water

BTW - Of the 9 series I've owned and driven with a 10" jack; with EFI's (225 & 250) I could kill the motor and not see but a few drops on the carpet. With Opti's (225 & 250), a cup or so would splash up just onto the back of the carpet in front of the well. They are a very dry ride. IMHO

I can shut down with my 901 w/200 EFI and only get a little wet on the rear carpet. Much better than my old FS180.

RoyC

Latest posts

Back