Water inside 2011 Z6

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Hunter

Reaction score
Well, after pulling the starboard side rub rail and re-sealing from stem to stern(with gaps as large as 1/4") I took her back on the water. One run up and down the lake, back to the ramp, and I pumped out 10 to 12 gallons of water with the bilge pump. (other bass boat guys were pointing and laughing).

Back home I checked the PORT side rub rail. It was as bad or worse. (1/4" gap from transom cap next to motor to half way up the side of the boat). I pulled the port side rub rail and re-sealed that side as well.

What??? Maybe I voided the warranty on my new 2011 Nitro Z6 (7 weeks old) by trying to fix the problem but what was I supposed to do? Let it sink? Water probably shortened the life of the Guest 20 Amp charger also! Who knows. I don't mean to "rant" but, man, this is not right. Pathetic part is .. if I don't get any water in the bilge the next time I go to the lake .... I'll be happy..... 'cause I really like this boat in every other way.

Drain plug is in, Cooler, livewells and rod locker is plugged and there is no hole the size of a basketball in the hull.

Gary,

I have the same hull and get no water at all. On the underside of my rubrail, I have a really liberal silicone seal from the factory. When I say underside I mean the bottom, facing the water. My transom bolts were loose as well but not leaking. I put bets its more than the rubrail, plumbing to the live well is actively full every time you put in the lake. How about getting a cap of an aerosol etc and blocking the screen out side the transom then, fill your live well (without the plug) with a hose from the top and see if the hull gets any water in it.

I have a 2011 Z-6 as well. My boat was getting a ton of water in the bilge. My leak ended up being the biggest grey quick disconnect hoes in the bilge. All of the other hose had silicone on them but the one big one did not. I took it loose and put silicone around the fitting and popped it back together. I have taken my boat out three times since then and haven't gotten any water at all in the bilge. Maybe this will help.

thanks Jamie. I just pulled all the hoses and sealed them per your suggestion. Hoses "might" be a contributing factor but when boat is just sitting in the water I get no water in boat. Only after a run down the lake and back to the ramp do I have 10-12 gals. of water in bilge. (about a 15 minute run) which leads me to believe it is (or was) the rear portion of rub rail dipping down on hole shot. (or something ... I'm confused). I"ll post after next trip to the lake and let all ya'll know if sealing rub rail helped. (if you're interested).

Anyway thanks a million for your help.

When sealing rubrails, you'll have to do the port side as well. My bet is you'll find the problem there......

Very interested in this post. My 2011 Z6 is giving me the same problem. So far the only time I seem to take on water is with a passenger. I've been hesitant to pull off the rub rail (not knowing what to expect and getting it back on). Its time for my 10 hour maintenance so I'll see what my dealer will do.

Fred,

On the underside of your rubrail, do you have a nice thick silicone seal to stop the water spraying under the rail? The other thing I'm interested in is just maybe if we compared a few serial numbers of the hulls, there could have been a period where they were sealed worse than others.

Ok guys - at the risk repeating myself - I just wanted to post my results. I had to remove rub rails off both sides of 2011 Z6 from transom all the way to amidships (consoles) and resealed obvious gap beneath rail..... and then ran a bead of silicone around front of boat UNDER rail (without removing it). Took boat out yesterday (10/7/11)and for the first time in 6 trips to the lake in my 8 week old boat ... it was BONE DRY! It may not seem like a big deal but to me it was a great feeling. Whewph! Finally. What a fiasco. When my elbow feels better (after all that screwing) I might even get to heave a crankbait! Life is good.

AWRITE!!!!!!!!

Good to see you nailed it but bloody frustrating that YOU had to sort it. I would have thought a bead a sealant during assembly would have been 101 on the QC checks.

Glad to hear you sorted it.

AWRITE!!!!!!!!

Good to see you nailed it but bloody frustrating that YOU had to sort it. I would have thought a bead a sealant during assembly would have been 101 on the QC checks.

Glad to hear you sorted it.

Thanks for your support Thommo59. It is now June 2018. I sold the Nitro Z6 and after all the problems with her, I have to say, I would never buy another Nitro/Tracker branded boat. I'm "negotiating" about buying a "real" boat (Crestliner) with a sealed rub rail. ... :)

Thanks for your support Thommo59. It is now June 2018. I sold the Nitro Z6 and after all the problems with her, I have to say, I would never buy another Nitro/Tracker branded boat. I'm "negotiating" about buying a "real" boat (Crestliner) with a sealed rub rail. ... :)

By the way I finally got a reply from the "Nitro Rep" and he issued me a $100 gift card to Bass Pro Shops. Insulting to say the least.

Latest posts

Back