Water in the live bait wells.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DONAOL

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Nitro Z19 Sport. I don't use the live wells, both are in the stern of the boat. I keep finding water in them. All switches are off, drain plug is out. I can't figure out where the water is coming from. Not rain water either. Anyone have any ideas. Thanks

You should have one or two valve controls that look like this. Keep them in the closed position and your live wells should stay dry. If you leave them in the open position when the boat is in the water, water will come in through the drain. It will drain back out when you pull the boat out of the water.
1630588030337.png

1630588030337.png

had the same problem on my V19. Found out that I need to keep the drain plug in as the water line is higher than the bottom of the live well and will slowly work it’s way in when sitting in the water

My 2008 189 sport did that when we 1st bought it. There was no reason why.. Sometimes windy and rough water. Sometimes smooth water. We filled and drained the live well and played with it some and for some unknown reason it stopped.

Can you post some pics of your live well and controls? I'm curious if there's any difference in yours and mine.

Don’t have that type of shut off valve. Will post pictures when I get chance to take some. Will try putting plug in drain and see if that stops water from coming in. Thank for the ideas.

There has to be someway to control the water holding and draining from your live wells. Hard to imagine a new 2021 Nitro boat that doesn't have a valve. Have you asked your dealer?

There has to be someway to control the water holding and draining from your live wells. Hard to imagine a new 2021 Nitro boat that doesn't have a valve. Have you asked your dealer?
Asked Tracker Marine there not sure. Just have one valve push in and pull out. Looks very cheap compared to others posted. Thanks for help.

Both valve types (Flowrite and push-pull) can leak because of debris in the water, from the live well, or even a hose that is old and breaking down. Try using a few blasts of compressed air through the drain/ fill line, from both ends. Also, some of the cable operated valves might need the cable adjusted to fully close the valve. And too much pressure from the cable in the shutoff position may let water through. Or maybe the valve just needs to be replaced. Some of the newer valves are made with 2 stops in the valve, while the old ones only had 1.

Just a question do you put your live well drain plugs in before you launch? If you do not, you will most likely get some water because of the location of the intake line in relation to other components.

Just a question do you put your live well drain plugs in before you launch? If you do not, you will most likely get some water because of the location of the intake line in relation to other components.
No> I just do catch and release.

Both valve types (Flowrite and push-pull) can leak because of debris in the water, from the live well, or even a hose that is old and breaking down. Try using a few blasts of compressed air through the drain/ fill line, from both ends. Also, some of the cable operated valves might need the cable adjusted to fully close the valve. And too much pressure from the cable in the shutoff position may let water through. Or maybe the valve just needs to be replaced. Some of the newer valves are made with 2 stops in the valve, while the old ones only had 1.
Thanks Will check lines.

ARRGR, I think I am missing something here, I don't have any of the above Levers/switches/push-pull knobs. Dash mounted fill (on/off and other direction is Maintain) toggles. how do I empty my tanks you ask, I have overflow tubes in each tank. Just pull them up and out of the hole......Bingo.....water drains. Should I be checking to see if I need any of the afore mentioned valves ?

I would be surprised if you didn’t have bottom drain. Many of the lakes in the northeast inspect boats now and your boat needs to be water free. To prevent the transfer of invasive plants and fish .

ARRGR, I think I am missing something here, I don't have any of the above Levers/switches/push-pull knobs. Dash mounted fill (on/off and other direction is Maintain) toggles. how do I empty my tanks you ask, I have overflow tubes in each tank. Just pull them up and out of the hole......Bingo.....water drains. Should I be checking to see if I need any of the afore mentioned valves ?
On my boat, I open the the fill valve (located between the bottom drain and transom, and connected by a cable to a lever). The livewell fills to the water level of the boat. If I close the valve, the water level is maintained. To empty, I run the boat on plane (with the fill on) until the livewell is empty, then place the fill to off. On the trailer, with the fill position on, the water will drain.
Can you follow your dash mounted fill switch wires and find out what they connect to?
When you pull your overflow tubes, does the water drain into the bilge, or into a hose routed thru the transom?

had the same problem on my V19. Found out that I need to keep the drain plug in as the water line is higher than the bottom of the live well and will slowly work it’s way in when sitting in the water
Hello
Could you be a bit more clear, I think we have the same issue, what drain plug are you referring to?

I understand your set up now. Try finding a plug the same diameter as the overflow tubes. Then pull the tubes and plug the holes. With the tubes in place, water can flow up the tube when you come down off plane and get into the live well. Can also happen when you launch the boat or back up.

Latest posts

Back