Water flowing into transom area

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julio Santana

Reaction score
Anyone else with a 700LX annoyed at how much water flows down into the bilge after you stop running and the water flows up into the basin only to drip through the steering cable exit hole down into the bilge of the boat?

Has anyone tried to re-route the steering cables (rather not) or plug the hole with an extra fitting, replacement gasket or something?

Same thing on the 882. I used a piece of pipe insulating foam to plug most of the gaps.

Russ

Agree bassinman, but on the 700 & 882, even boat wakes or backing in rough water will put water over the cable port.

Russ

Agree with bassinman...I've also found a couple taps on the up button as you come off pad helps with weight distribution and makes for a little less backsplash.

Rick,

You bring it up just a touch right as the boat drops off pad, which is just before the backwash starts...re-read bassinman's reply with regards to the jackplate set-back and weight distribution...when there's no power to the throttle, as when coming off pad, the position of the motor will not effect the attitude of the bow or stern, but as the backwash starts to reach the transom, a little goose on the throttle and a little trim on the engine helps that backwash to go under the transom instead of over it...

Think of the weight shift as almost a pendulum effect, as the weight of the engine is shifted slightly forward it changes the center of gravity just a bit, throwing it a little more forward than aft....of course, the key is also to come down slowly...try it, it works for me.

Does this make sense to anyone else???

....I've gotten away with making a sharp

90 degree turn just before the surge hits,

but it's best to slow down first.

I take a different approach: I simply don't worry about it. Every couple of hours out on the water, I hit the bilge pump for a minute. It's good practice to do so anyway in case water is coming in from somewhere less likely. I'd put in a float switch in if it really bothered me.

Whatever small amount of water left at the end of the day comes out of the plug hole and the bilge dries while sitting on the trailer between trips.

Latest posts

Back