Warranty

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Rife

Reaction score
Picking my Boat up this week and I'd like some input on extended warranty.In this economy one would question my sanity buying a boat especially me being in Coal Mining.

The 150 Optimax comes with 3 years 100% from Mercury, the dealer adds 2 years mechanical but that doesent cover electrical so That being said I'd have 3 years 100% 2 years everything but electrical. They want an additional 1625.00 bucks for 2 more years to make it a total of 7 years 100% everything. Gimme some input guys how would you go?

Thanks as always you guys have always been helpfull.

Ed

Ask them if this covers the oil reservoir tank. Mine stopped working on my 2009 Z7 150 optimax after 1 1/2 years. Nitro and Mercury said that they were covered for only one year and wanted to charge me 200.00 for another tank. They said that it was not part of the motor. Thanks to BP they took care of me and I did not have to pay for it. I have a full 5 years warranty on my motor. Better ask about the small things on you boat that is not covered by Nitro or Mercury.

Just a personal opinion but to me motor warranties are well worth the coin. Bigger the motor, the more wore important it is. There's too many things that can go wrong with a motor that are high dollar fixes. If I hadn't bought my current boat used, I was going to by mew and I would have gotten the longest warranty I could buy. As it is, my motor has roughly 320 hours (250 Yamaha HDPI) so I am comfortable that all the bugs are out of it and I'll just keep it maintained well, keep the fuel treated and run the dog snot out of it.:D

Just to echo the above, with the new larger engines I want as much warranty I can get. I'm a DIY kind of guy on the rest and in comparison to the engine those pieces are pennies on the dollar. Good luck! ;)

When I purchased my boat new in 2011, the dealer added an extra 5 years to my motor (free). BZ on my dealer.

cq

With my Merc (2006, 225 Opti) I had two warranty claims, both covered with no issues. The first happen 6 month after I bought it, blown powerhead. That scared me into buying the extended warranty after that happened. At least then you didn't have to buy the extended warranty at the time of purchase. You had some time. I don't remember exactly what I paid, but I think it was in the area of $1300. The second issue upper and lower seals went bad. Just before the original three year warranty expired. Knock on wood I haven't had any issues since. Maybe I got all the bugs worked out. I guess I had the insurance if needed, but never had to make a claim on the extended warranty, which expired last year.

Steve

Hi Guys, I may be a bit behind here in offering a comment on a warranty but I just recently joined this group and I just bought a 2014 Nitro Z7 with the 175 Mercury. The motor does come with a 3 year warranty and I also bought an extended 4 year warranty for $1500. If I do not need to use the extended 4 year warranty, at the end of the warranty I will be getting my $1500 back. Now that's what I call a pretty good deal.

I find extendend warranty to be a waste. You never end up using it and I feel other than a complete blown engine the 1500 or 1600 you paid up front would have paid for any major damage. I don't live in fear of what might happen. That's all this is a scare tactic. This is what I find funny. When your about to buy the boat or car for that matter they tell you how great and reliable the motor is. Then once you buy and they send you over to finance they always have another story about how things could go wrong and you should get the extra warranty. I just find that funny.

Latest posts

Back